Extra: Zekun Li

It was early autumn when he first met Xia Cheng but Beijing was still hot, so hot that Zekun Li didn't even want to leave the house.

It rained during the daytime. Finally, the night cooled down a little. All of Zekun Li's friends called him out to have fun and he finally said yes despite his reluctance. They went to the club. He lost his interest after several rounds of arrow-shooting so he sat aside to watch his friends playing bowling.

Someone proposed to sing karaoke around 10 p.m. Everyone seconded while Zekun Li put out his cigarette and said, "You go have fun. I'm going home."

Yu Song stopped him. "Hey, the whole gang is here. Come on, this isn't right."

Zekun Li smiled. "I'll pass. When you are high, you get whores and gambling and drugs. I don't want any of that." Zekun Li was young but he was restrained. His hobbies were loftier than other childes', such as horse-riding, parachuting or diving. Zekun Li had some friends that were kids from normal families. He was sexually mysophobic. He never took whores with him. He just resented that kind of places and people worked there from the bottom of his heart.

But today, these people wouldn't let him go. They promised him, "You decide the games tonight. If someone or something upsets you, we call it quits. What do you say?"

Zekun Li thought they wouldn't go too far and he didn't want to go home either. It made no difference wherever he stayed.

The manager had reserved the best room for them. Zekun Li found a spot to sit down and started to play his cellphone, ignoring his friends who were shouting about "get your pretty boys and girls here" to the manager.

ZeKun Li was scrolling Weibo while his friends were laughing and bragging.

One rich boy was quite a show-off. He said the night was on him. They could spend however they liked. He'd just got a new card from his dad.

Another officialling tried to imitate him. He gave a playful look around the room and said in a grin, "Pick any song you like. As long as the singer is in Beijing, I can get them here to sing for you!"

Yu Song wanted a boy. He passed him the microphone. It was their rule that none of them sang the first song.

As the first note of the song came out, the entire room quieted down. The waiter quickly changed another song trembling.

The boy picked an old song, large letters of the title and singer displayed on the LED screen, In the Field of Hope by Liyuan Peng.

The officialling's face twisted. Yes, he was joking, but he wasn't supposed to be humiliated by a money boy!

The boy didn't know what the hell was going on. He wasn't listening to those rich kids. He couldn't sing while the microphone was shoved into his hand so he just picked a song that his mother sang a lot when he was little.

Zekun Li put down his phone while the atmosphere was so intense in the room. He slowly looked up at that boy and giggled. He waved at the boy in a smile. "Let me see, who is this fearless kid."

Zekun Li had the highest status in this room. Everyone just laughed it off after seeing his expression remained the same.

Yu Song nudged the boy towards Zekun Li and said, "Come on, he's rarely interested in someone."

The colorful lights in the nightclub were so bewildering and dazzling. It took Zekun Li quite a while to find out that this was still a kid, about 18 years old, very pretty. His eyes were peach blossom petal-shaped, which was very rare and he had those smiling lips.

Someone handed the boy a lighter. "Light the cigarette up for Mr. Li here."

Zekun Li smiled, he really had a cigarette between his fingers. But that boy didn't move; he seemed to hesitate. He was panicking and fighting himself inside.