Chapter 3

At 1 hour and 22 minutes into the movie, the children have successfully brought back Sand Man from the "dead". We see dinosaurs, unicorns, fish, and many other wonderous sand creations. The kids and the guardians are laughing and having fun as Pitch yells angrily. All of that can obviously be seen when watching the movie. However, what I want to talk about is the music that is playing during this scene.

I have always thought that the music at this part sounds very similar to the song "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka. This is the song that he sings as he shows his guests the room filled with all the candy. (Which I happen to think looks a lot like the Warren but that's beside the point.) The part of the song I'm talking about is the third stanza.

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it.

The song that plays here is called "Dream Sand Miracles" and the part I am specifically talking about happens 22 seconds into the song. The score was composed by Alexandre Desplat. There has never been any mention that he got inspiration from "Pure Imagination" when writing the score, but I always thought it sounded very similar. Especially given what is going on during this scene. The kids are soaking in the wonder of Sand Man's creations, which I think fits very well with the words in "Pure Imagination." I might be insane, and they don't sound similar at all, But, I always thought they did. 

(In the clips above, skip to 1:40 in pure imagination and 20 seconds in Dream Sand Miracles.)