Chapter 14

Today, we will be talking about everyone's favorite Yeti, Phil. Specifically, we will be talking about his name. Phil. Phil.. Phil... Yeti's don't speak English! How does he tell anyone his name?!

We first meet Phil when Jack is taken to the North Pole. He asks North to slow down his tour because he has been trying to "bust in" to the Pole for years. North is surprised by this, so he obviously didn't know it was happening. Jack reassures him that he was never able to get in thanks to the Yetis. At that moment Phil angrily points at Jack and Jack greets him by name.

The question is, how did Jack know his name was Phil? Phil couldn't have told him his name, because he speaks a different language than Jack. However, we should note that he can write his name. (As seen in the post credit scene at Jamie's house) I would assume that the Yetis are able to write names so that they can address the presents they wrap. It is unclear if they are able to write anything else.

I'm sure the Yetis have names for themselves in their own language, but I doubt it is something a simple as 'Phil'. So, here is my hypothesis, I believe that someone named Phil. Someone other than the Yetis. Sure, it could have been North. He's known the Yetis long enough. But that doesn't quite make sense.

North calls the elves by their names. He calls for a "Dingle" when Pitch first appears on the globe. Sure, the elves are too dumb to know which one of them is Dingle, but it's the thought that counts. However, North never calls any of the Yetis by name, not even Phil.

Because of this, I believe Jack named this particular Yeti, Phil. He had no way of knowing what his actual Yeti name was. Since Jack was there so often, he probably wanted to have something to call him. So, I think Jack gave him the name Phil and the name kind of stuck. (I'm sure this is wrong, but I thought it was a fun theory and an explanation as to why none of the other Yetis have names.)