5- "The In Laws"

* Adelina's pnt. Of view *

Cold.

Hollow.

Empty.

Light.

Numb.

Weak.

These were all words that described my current state.

My eyes were glued shut, my lungs not aiding the faint breaths of oxygen my body yearned for.

My throat felt as dry as a bag of cement, and my voice was mute.

I wasn't alive. I know I wasn't alive, and yet I knew there was no way I died so easily.

So what was happening to me?

"Adelina..." I felt a cold brush against my cheek, as a wind hummed my name in a mother like tone, a tone only Selene was accustomed to using, except this wasn't Selene.
"Wh-wha-who's there?" My voiced echoed into a void of silence, my heart finally emitting some rushed beats, reassuring my faith maybe I wasn't dead after all.
"Shhh... sleep sweet child... sleep..." the voice lullabied, as the wind caressed my cheeks, and enveloped my cold body into a warm Cocoon, aiding and ushering my spirit into the embrace of a peaceful rest.

And I was gone.

I later woke up to a place I believed was once my Calm place, but there was no sign to support my belief.

The ground was dry, the trees were bare, the wind was harsh and cold, and the beautiful blue lake had dried up. There were no butterflies, no bees, no birds, and no sun.

I looked around and found nothing. No sign of life.

Then, there in the far horizon, was a figure of a man, I couldn't see his face, but then I willed him closer, and in the blink of an eye he was standing in front of me.

I gasped taking a step back, horror striking straight to my core, as my hands flew to my mouth. The man reached out to me as his legs trembled, his knees giving way, as his body crashed to the ground. His dainty fingers captured my boots, as he laid on his back. His mouth was drowning in blood, and as a result his chin, neck and chest were doused in red blood. His clothes were ragged and ripped. His skin was battered and bruised, his right eye was swollen shut, and his left eye was barely open.

As he used the last stored ounce of his strength to reach out for me, my heart went out to him, I lowered myself as I propped his head against my knee. I pushed his hair from his face, and the grey colored eyes were the only thing that revealed the stranger's identity.

"Edwin?" I gasped my constricted throat only allowing room for a trembling feeble whisper. Tears instantly blurring my eyes.
"Edwin!" I wept grabbing onto his shirt, hoping my energy would replenish the life that quickly slipped from his eyes.
"Wha- no, NO! Edwin talk to me, who did this to you?" I screamed as he smiled faintly, touching my tears and trembling lips.

His shaking hand then quickly wrapped around the back of my neck, as he pulled my forehead to his with the last ounce of strength he could muster, then with a raggedy breath and his shaking lips, his voice registered in my brain with a begging tone as he mustered the simple word but quite clear warning "RUN!"
And just like that his body collapsed.

My eyes widened, as his skin paled and ashed by the second, his lips no longer trembling.

"Edwin?" I shook him, my adrenaline now kicking in.
"Edwin? EDWIN!" I screamed and screamed but to no avail. He wouldn't answer nor would he wake up.