Prologue

It was a cloudy, pleasant afternoon in the town. The lazy hours had a slow breeze embrace the trees as the scattered chirps of birds were heard.

Mel, huffed loudly as she tried her best to move the sofa. In vain, ofcourse. Having heard her daughter's impatient groans, Patty entered the small living room, chuckling softly.

"Why don't we take a small break, honey? We can work after lunch."

The mention of lunch sent Mel's mind reeling into food heaven, various delicious meals popping up in her head. She smacked her lips and nodded.

"Well, I do need my strength."

"Ofcourse you do", her mother replied, looking at the yellow sofa Mel had been trying to move for almost an hour then.

The playful sarcasm escaped Mel's senses, instead clouded by the images of hearty meals.

The mother-daughter duo set out dressed warmly in search of a good meal to fill their tired stomachs.

. . .

Mel was once again starting to get impatient. Not even had it been a few minutes since they left, and their quest to find good food had been interrupted by a neighbour.

Ofcourse, ever the kind Patty couldn't say no to a conversation with her new neighbour. To her, It would be plainly too impolite.

So, Their neighbour, a chirpy lady by the name Molly, was talking to her mother about garden pests and how to control them.

Unbeknownst to her, Molly was also at the receiving end of Mel's secret death glares.

After the longest time, Patty finally decided to slip in the fact that they are on their way out.

"Oh dear, Are you two going out? My, I am sorry. For lunch, I believe?" She asked.

"Yes, we are. It would be great if you could suggest any good place", her mother asked, smiling.

"Winston's at just around the corner of this street, my dear. Hands down, the best place in this town for a good, filling meal. Now, I will be going. Seems I have held you off for too long." She said, laughing.

They bade their good byes and left for the said place.

. . .

Winston's was owned by a loud, talkative man named Bobby. It was a small place with very few workers. But, one could tell with just a glance that it was a popular one among the people, what with the sheer amount of them that the tiny diner hosted.

Taking note of the crowd, Mel suggested that they have their lunch outside the diner, seated at one of the two little tables set for two. Her mother agreed and told Mel to save a spot for them while she bought their orders.

So, Mel went outside, pulling up her hoodie as the wind turned a tone too cold. While waiting, she took note of her surroundings. She saw many people rushing in and out of the diner, some dressed formally and others seemed to be construction workers. She saw a few teenagers lazily walking around the blocks. She also saw the said teenagers rush away at the sound of an elderly lady who seemed to be yelling at them.

A few minutes later, her mother returned with their food. The duo ate in a comfortable silence.

"Well," her mother began,"Molly was right. The food is heavenly." She said once they had finished.

Mel couldn't have agreed more. Literally, because she had eaten too much.

. . .

Mel and her mother had decided to walk around for a while before going back to unpacking. So, they turned around to vist the local park.

The park was a medium sized area with benches here and there. The place had a lot of trees and one corner of the park was specially for the children. The park, much like the diner, was also littered with people.

"That's odd", commented Mel,"Why are there so many people here in the afternoon?"

"Well, It might be because of the nice weather, honey", her mother replied, unsurely.

The duo occupied one of the benches under the huge trees as they talked and relaxed. That was when they noticed people leaving cards near an area covered almost entirely by rose bushes.

Mel raised her eyebrows at her mother questioningly to which her mother shrugged.

"Maybe it's a memorial of sorts? For a soldier or someone?" Her mother wondered out loud.

Mel spotted an old man sitting alone and decided to ask him. After announcing her decision to her mother, she stood and approached the said man.

"Excuse me, Sir? Do you happen to know what this is for?"Mel asked pointing at the scene.

The old man smiled, obviously surprised at such a question.

"Why, young lady, it's for Rose, of course!" He exclaimed, chuckling.

Mel wanted so badly to ask who Rose was. But, judging by his tone, he had already taken her for someone very stupid. She didn't want to make that worse.

So she went back to where her mother was seated. The duo chatted for some more time before leaving.

Long after they had reached home, Rose was still on Mel's mind. Surely she would find out more during her stay?

She bit her lip in deep thought, the yellow sofa laid forgotten in an awkward position in the living room as Mel sat on her unmade bed, recalling the day's events.

. . .

Hi! I'm back after a realllllyyy long time! I hope I finish this story. I really do.

Anyway, to business!

Likey??? Or no likey???

Don't forget to vote and comment about this part!!

Till next time

Tataaaaa!