Missing pieces

"Josh," the brunette boy looked up at the person calling him. "We've found her."

His eyes widened. "Are you sure?" He asked.

The other guy shook his head. "We can't be sure until we get there, but this is the closest we've been to her in months."

Nodding, Josh grabbed his jacket and put it on. "Lets go then, before she disappears again."

When the two of them got in the car, Josh turned to his partner. "Okay, Friar. Tell me what you got."

"A painting went missing from the MET last week. We're almost sure it was her doing. Our sources say she's going to sell a forgery in about an hour at this address." Lucas explained.

Josh frowned. "How do we know it's actually her?"

"We found an origami heart at the crime scene," his partner explained.

An hour later, a blonde girl showed up looking around, as if she were scanning the area. Her eyes landed on the two and she approached them. "Joshua Matthews," she said as she got close enough. "What do you want?"

"Hello, Maya, it's been a while," he responded. Approaching her a little more, while Lucas stayed behind keeping an eye on their surroundings.

She rolled her eyes. "That's not my name," she told him casually.

"Of course, it is, Maya." As Josh took a step closer to her, she took a bigger one backwards, making him sigh.

"What do you want, Josh?" She asked again.

He shrugged. "I'm here about the missing art piece. My sources say it's being sold here."

Maya rolled her eyes. "Your sources are crap," she told him.

"You're here, aren't you," he argued.

She shook her head. "Do you really think I have it?" Her smirk betrayed her, but they both knew it wasn't enough proof. "I'm here to warn you."

"Warn me?" Josh asked curiously. "About what?"

"My dad," she said. "He knows you're poking around in his business and he doesn't like it. I'd hate to see something happen to that handsome face of yours."

"I can take care of myself, Maya," he told her confidently. "I'm working for the FBI after all." The two of them stayed silent for a while before he added: "He's also not your dad."

"He raised me, that's more then I can say about my real parents." She shrugged.

Josh looked at her incredulously. "He took you away from them," he argued.

She shook her head. "They owed him a lot of money and decided to give me up to him to clear their debt."

The brunette boy shook his head. "That might be your father's doing, but your mom, she's been looking for you since the day you went missing."

Maya shook her head. "She isn't. She doesn't care about me. She remarried and moved on with her life. Besides, what makes you think I care about her?"

"First of all, she does care. Her husband is Shawn Hunter. He's the one who got me this job. He's the one funding my department at the FBI. He's doing everything in his power to get you back where you belong." He told her, stunning her into silence.

"Second, I know you care, because otherwise you wouldn't have left a trail for us to follow. The hearts? Maya Hart. And your alias, Katy Reeds? You used your mother's name."

Maya sighed. "I'm not the same girl you met all those years ago," she told him.

"Neither am I, Maya. We were little kids back then," Josh tried to convince her.

Suddenly the blonde's phone rang. "I have to go," she stated.

"Don't," Josh asked pleadingly. "Come home. I'll do anything in my power to protect you, just please" he trailed off.

She shook her head, taking a few steps closer to him. She kissed his cheek. He closed her eyes as she whispered to him how sorry she was. When he opened his eyes again, she was gone.

"You let her go?" Lucas asked incredulously when his partner joined him alone.

Josh sighed. "There was nothing I could do. She's an adult now, I can't force her to come and we don't have enough evidence to arrest her."

"We'll find something," Lucas tried to reassure him, but Josh wasn't so sure anymore.