Chapter Eleven

It was Landon's turn to be greeted by a shower of confetti that we made sure we aimed right at his face. He coughed while he laughed and waved the murderous pieces of paper out of his face and grinned at me.

"Happy birthday!" Mary and I sang and Max leaned in the doorway behind Landon and smiled at us.

"This stuff really is shit," Landon said, still waving bits of confetti away.

I reached up and pulled a bit out of his hair. "It's nothing you don't deserve," I replied.

He looked at me seriously. "I thought you'd appreciate it!"

"Yeah, 'course you did." I shoved the string of the balloon at him. "This is for you."

Landon took it and looked at it. "This is my present?" he asked, looking highly sceptical.

I pouted. "Who doesn't like a balloon? I thought you'd appreciate it."

Even I couldn't get through the sentence with a straight face. But, especially not when Landon could tell I was taking the piss and had started smiling just as I did.

"God, you think you're great, don't you?" he laughed.

"Why not? You think I'm great." I smiled.

He nodded. "Can't argue with you there."

"Besides, that is not your present," Mary said. "Kira has painstakingly procured you something I personally think you're going to be incredibly pleased with."

"Tell me you're taking me to a strip club!' Landon grinned and I snorted.

"No. I was going to give it to you tomorrow if you'll help me with my chorie?"

"You mean, I have to wait until tomorrow?"

I nodded. "Yes."

He threw his head back dramatically and sighed exasperatedly. "Fine!"

"What are you, five?" I laughed and looked to Max.

"He may as well be," Max answered with a grin.

"Maybe in IQ," Mary giggled and Landon gave her a horrified look.

"Come here," I said, waving my hand at him.

I took the balloon and tied it to his wrist.

"Do I have to wear this at Nitro?" he asked me, his brown eyes staring at me intently.

"No, I'm not dancing with you if you're wearing a balloon, it'll just get in the way," I replied.

"But, you do have to wear it until then," Mary added and I nodded.

Landon sighed again. "Fine."

"But, you do get to do whatever you want for the whole day, so that's something?" I coaxed and he finally grinned.

"Okay, first, I want a chocolate sundae with a candle." He grinned widely and I smiled.

"Good thing I know you so well," I answered with a return smile. "Come on then birthday, boy."

We spent the day catering to Landon's every whim. Which sounds like he was a total brat and, in a way, he sort of was. But, he was Landon and we'd all known what to expect. And, honestly, even though he tried to push the boundaries, he always looked super grateful and even a little shocked when we acquiesced to his requests.

I put my foot down for singing him happy birthday in the quad, though.

"I forewent the jumper for you, Bass. I'm not singing!" I laughed.