Chapter Four

Studying at Elmstrum's was way more demanding than studying at school. Our first class of the day was at eight and we didn't finish until five, five days a week. And, that was just our stream classes, as we had to fit in practice – or homework – time, one on one time, our specialities, and a group class with our tutors as well. That last one, I was not looking forward to.

Tuesday afternoon, I had my first one on one class with a teacher called Cameron.

I walked into the studio and he didn't even look at me. "Afternoon, Kira. I've been looking forward to meeting you."

"Uh, thanks?" I answered, dropping my bag.

He laughed. "You'll find Kelly is a household name here, we've all heard about you." He finally turned and gave me an appraising once over. "I'll abide your choice in clothes for group lessons, but I'm going to insist you lose the jumper for one on ones," he said, almost saying it like a question.

I nodded and pulled the jumper off. While I was at it, I pulled my hair up and put a headband on as well to keep my hair out of my eyes.

"Good. Here, let's warm up while we talk." He sat down and started stretching. "So, you're in the chorie stream, yes?"

"Um, yeah. Miss Kelly suggested it," I answered as I joined him on the floor.

He looked surprised, but I couldn't tell if he was impressed or not. "Really?"

I nodded.

"Well, that will be interesting. Have you got any ideas for any of your assessment pieces?" he asked.

"Um...sort of, not really. I'm just playing with some things at the moment." I wasn't sure I was brave enough to tell him my idea.

But, I had a feeling he could read my mind. "Go on, what are you thinking?"

I couldn't help a shy smile as I looked down. "For my group piece, I want to see if I can attach taps to... You know those roller shoes?"

He didn't answer and I looked up in panic, but I found him smiling.

"I know, it sounds stupid, but I just think it might work really well. If I can get the taps and the wheels to work."

He shook his head. "No, I think you should definitely give it a go. If you can pull it off, I think it could be amazing. I'm looking forward to it. Who's your tutor?"

"Landon Baston."

Cameron looked at me apologetically. "Shame, but he might be of use if he pulls his head out of his arse long enough."

I snorted. "Uh, if it's all the same, I'd rather he didn't know I was a dance to chorie major for as long as possible."

Cameron nodded. "Will be impressive to see how long you can pull that off, but I understand. Bass is nothing if not conceited. But, he's also incredibly self-absorbed, so my bet is you can go the whole semester without him finding out."

I smiled. "Yeah, we'll see. Dean Campbell asked me to help him with his context and, if last night was anything to go by, he's not going to care much about my subjects."

"Tutoring didn't go well?"

I shrugged. "Well, Landon spent the whole time ranting about what a waste Context was and trying to convince me that I'd adjust better if I went out to some dance club on campus."

"Ah, the infamous Nitro." Cameron nodded.

"You know it?" I reprimanded myself. "Of course you do."

He chuckled. "It's a famous open secret of this place. It's open late every night, much to the chagrin of the dean and the teachers, but it gives the music students more practice and keeps the dance students out of trouble."