Chapter 3 - An Interview..or Interrogation.

Start from the beginning

Flug POV

I stared at her for a moment, not entirely sure how to process what she'd said. She's not a villain, but she does dislike heroes at least. If the branding on her ankle was anything to judge by she must have a bad experience with a hero. "...y/n, do you know a hero named MedicMan?" The reaction I watched wasn't immediate, but it made my hand still on the paper. Her eyes dilated slowly and she seemed to look past me. I was tempted to look back but I knew no one was there.

Reader POV

I took a deep breath, as Rockmon had told me many times to do when I started to regress into unwanted memories. At least I was sitting and leaning on a counter this time. I could hear the silence filling the room when I came back into focus, centering in on the doctor. "Yes. I do. I'm not interested in talking about him." You made that plain, having no interest in talking to anyone but the Professor about that man. Not yet.

Flug nodded and pushed away the pen, leaning forward. "Ok. I understand. But...if it's not too much, I was wondering...do you need a job?"

I had to stare at him for a moment at that. When did this turn into a job interview? "Um...I mean, yeah, technically. Bills don't pay themselves. Why?"

"Well, I could use a lab hand, and the pay is actually pretty decent. I figure you probably have some other abilities that could help, maybe?"

I shrugged a bit, scratching at my neck. "Yeah, a few...but I'm not a villain or anything."

"5.0.5 isn't really either, but if you just help out in the lab that's enough really. Blackhat doesn't really care so long as you're not, you know, a spy or hero or something."

"If I'm a spy I'm a pretty lame one. Can't even get a suit." I chuckle at my own joke and some of the tension leaves the room, Flug noting the change.

"Yeah. S-So would you like to work for us?" He sounded hopeful honestly, and while I had no plans to be a villain or get involved, a job was a job, and so long as I didn't get too comfortable with absolute strangers, this wouldn't be too bad.

"Alright, but if there's a dress code I quit immediately." He laughed a bit and shook his head, getting up to go to a computer. "Not at all, I just need some basic info about you for the system. You know, security reasons." It was a reasonable excuse after all.

I didn't buy it as much, but the past was hard to find with my kind of present, so I gave him my first and last name, current address, and agreed to a work schedule. I didn't have anything else in the day to cause a hinderance, so I agreed to be there every weekday, nine a.m. to eight. It was a long amount of hours, but I volunteered them myself. That way I'd have most of the day filled and a solid routine done.

"Alright, were all set then. You're sure you can start tomorrow?"

"Yeah, tomorrow is fine. Do I have to go through the camera thing again?"

He shook his head and handed me a card after programming it quickly, the Blackhat emblem printed on it. "Nope, just swipe this and it'll let you in. B-but please be careful with it. It shouldn't get into anyone else's hands." I took the card and nodded, putting it in my pocket for now.

"Got it. See you tomorrow then?" I got up and pressed my hand on the metal counter, using the support.

Flug POV

"Yep, come on, I'll walk you to the door. The house is like a maze most times." I got up and showed her out, waving to her as she left before going back to my lab. Once I was back, I pulled the finger prints she'd left on the counter from standing up, intent to see if she existed in any system anywhere. It took shorter than I expected really. Within moments a file appeared in the heroic establishments documentation. It wasn't her name I found though. The picture looked similar to her, but with dark shadows under her eyes and wearing the usual gray tone clothes used for patients. I searched through the files until I found the end. The institute was burned and turned to a stone shell. Nothing was left. The reports said all the patients had died, every body accounted for. Even the employees that lived in the manor for convenience. If that were true though, she shouldn't be here.

I spent a little while looking through it all when dementia came crawling through the vents, sticking her head through the opening. "Hey Fluggy, whatcha looking at?"

I looked at her and back at the screen, making another note. "New hire. Try not to scare her off. Blackhat wants her to stay for a bit." Dementia came over and leaned over my chair, frowning a bit.

"Why? What's so special about her?"

"Don't know yet, but she's got a burn mark on her from a hero and apparently should be dead."

"So she's not like...interested in Blackhat or anything, right?

"No, she didn't even know who Blackhat was." I was actually glad for that, it made it easier to avoid her obsessive behavior if she had no competition. Like Penumbra. God, I'm glad I don't have to replace her phone again.

"Someone who doesn't know about Blackhat? That's just...terrible. Guess it makes sense if she was in a loony bin though." She tapped at the screen and snickered. "So she's another nerd huh?"

"Not exactly, but try to leave her alone, ok?" I looked at her pleadingly, already knowing that was impossible.

"Heh heh...no promises."