Chapter 1 - A chance meeting

Epilogue-

Hospitals and mental institutes usually aren't that bad during the day time. Windows with light streaming through, patients sitting at tables and couches alike, socializing with either themselves or the several aids that roamed around. It wasn't an altogether unsightly place. It was after hours when the unsettlement began. Screams of those afflicted by night terrors, the occasionally bang or crash of someone startling awake violently.  I was one prone to such a problem. I'd been at this institute for the last four years now, at least, that's what the Professor had said. He was the only confidante I had. The institute, owned and overseen by the hero MedicMan, was established to treat the criminally insane. This was not exactly true of all the patients, but in my case I had been admitted after an unfortunate incident in my hometown. At the age of fifteen, having never known more about heroes and villains than what was considered obviously good or bad, MedicMan had titled me a future villain, and so I had remained here. No longer though. Tonight would be different. Tonight was the end of this horrid establishment, and I couldn't contain my grin as I stepped out into the hallway one night, the door that was always locked no longer a problem. In two hours time, this building would be razed to the ground. I could hardly wait.

Six Months Passed

I awoke late in the day to start the usual routine, which was really just reach over to my side table, take my morning medication, and drag myself up. Getting dressed for the day would only matter if I went outside. The Professor had instructed me to eat when I woke up every day, something about it being good for a healthy routine. While I could very easily ignore it, I valued his opinion, and did so every day, usually eating some sort of off brand cereal. Money was not exactly something I possessed a great deal of. Most of the day was normal, roaming through the apartment, doing various little things to fill the time. I only ever changed from pajamas to outside clothes when I figured a walk would be good. I had no books to read or games to play, so it was the next best option.
Dressing in some regular but very worn jeans and knock off vans, an old h/s hoodie thrown on over my t shirt, I grabbed my cheap phone and went outside, exhaling a puff into the fog. Hat Island didn't exactly have the best weather. That was fine though, fog was enjoyable on a leisurely day, and I continued down the sidewalk unbothered. The whole area was quiet and muted, the most interesting thing in a ten block radius being the unusual hat shaped manor with a plane crashed into the side. I'd heard a rumor or two that some retired villain lived there, but that didn't interest me. After all, what business did I have with a villain? However, as I approached, I noticed two small kids staring at the front gates, both talking quietly. The closer I came, the more you heard of the conversation.
"We can't go in there," said the first child holding the others arm and attempting to keep them from entering."But it's my ball," replied the other, "and it doesn't even look like anyone is home! It'll be really quick."

I paused a few feet away and looked inside the gate, seeing a football laying in the grass of the yard. It was a classic problem where a small kid had gotten over zealous most likely and kicked or threw the ball to hard. Sighing to myself, I spoke to the young boys softly, my voice hardly ever used most days. "Hey, if that's your ball I can go get it for you. I don't mind." They looked at you quickly, and the more cautious of the two looked relieved an adult would volunteer to help them.

"Thanks! Our parents said we're not supposed to go in there." The boy beamed and I just smiled faintly back, going to the gate and looked it up and down before crouching down and springing upwards, landing on the other side.

"Wow!" Said the kids, eyes wide with surprise. "Are you a hero?" I turned back and shake my head, scratching at an itch on my neck. "No, no, I'm just really good at jumping." I figured it was a good enough reason for two small kids, continuing onwards to get the ball. It hadn't gone too far, about ten feet really. I bent down to grab the ball when I felt a shudder go down my back, knowing the feeling all too well and immediately rolled forward with the ball. Looking back I saw the cause of my sense's alarm. A black patch was now in the grass, a ray gun of some type retracting back into its hiding spot in a fake bush. Not a bad defense trap, but also not good enough. I wasn't staying around to see more though. Keeping a grip on the ball I bolted for the gate, almost there when I heard the front door open. 'Damn, that was faster than expected,' it couldn't have been more than a minute or two. Looking back I saw, strangely enough, a man with a paper bag on his head and a ray gun in hand.

"Hey," he exclaimed, "Get back here hero!" He fired at me, though I was lucky that either his aim was bad or my reflexes were good enough to simply side step his shot. The concrete practically melted as I ran to the gate and jumped back over, turning towards the kids who were staring wide eyed. "Run!" I shouted at them, shoving the ball into one of their arms before they ran off. One might say they could've at least said thanks, but I doubted now was the situation for it.

Turning back towards the manor the literal Baghead came outside, looking slightly confused now. "...you didn't steal anything, did you?"

"No, I'm not a common thief. Some kids just lost their ball and I was getting it back for them. What the heck kind of security do you have that does all that??" I exhaled in relief that I wouldn't have to try and fight the string bean before me, tucking my hands in my hoodie. My tone wasn't nearly as upset as it could be, more confused, and a little dry.

"I'm sorry, it's just...lord Blackhat doesn't like trespassers." He explained, or at least tried. The name Blackhat didn't mean anything to me.

"Well, I don't like trespassers either, but I don't shoot lasers at them." I scratched at my neck again, sighing faintly. "Look, if something is damaged I'm sorry, I was just trying to help out some kids."

He seemed to take this as an honest answer and put away his weapon, extending a hand slowly. "I'm Dr. Flug by the way." It was hard to tell, given the paper bag, but he seemed to be offering some sort of friendly expression. I took his hand slowly and shook it, my hand wrapped thinly in some gauze. "Y/n." He looked at my hand curiously but didn't ask, maintaining a healthy distance from me. No doubt he saw my unusual jumping ability and was evaluating what else there could be. There wasn't much to me. A very thin body, as the mental institute had more than trashed my once healthy body, and my hair hung in choppy layers, given a rough haircut by myself after fleeing the institute.

The doctor headed back to the gate and waved to me, pausing slightly. "I um..I wouldn't recommend coming back here. It's not for everyone. You're lucky you're not a hero."

I looked back at him and shrugged, fingering the old phone in my pocket. "I'm no hero. Only ever met one and I didn't like him too much." On that note I turned and walked away, deciding to head home instead. This was enough excitement for me today. I went home and just laid down in my clothes, tugging a blanket over myself. Within moments I'd fallen asleep, my irregular sleep schedule from night terrors making it all too common to pass out when comfort was found.