Chap 33: The Goddess of Stories

Start from the beginning

"How did you do that?" I ask breathlessly, "That was not a glamour or reality warping magic."

His gaze softens and he looks off into the distance, his green eyes contemplative, "No. this was no glamour. It's not like I've magicked myself to look differently, I've changed from the inside out."

"But you're still you?"

He nods, the hint of a smile in his soft plump lips, "I'm still me."

"So, can you change into any form that way?"

"No, I can only change into various versions of myself." He pauses to look me in the eyes with an air of vulnerability, "I can turn into anything as long as its me."

Even though his eyes are rounder and covered in eyeliner, it's clear that I'm still staring into the same intelligent and mischievous eyes that hold my gaze so fiercely, I never want to look away.

After a moment, I force myself to avert my eyes and focus on the mission. "Well, I'm ready if you are Princess." I announce pointedly.

He flicks his eyes over me briefly, "You're certain you can handle this many fire demons?" He asks softly, his dark green lips pursed as he scrutinizes me slowly.

I shift on my feet, while Loki watches me through long dark lashes as if he can read my fears by just looking at me. His feminine face is silky smooth, slightly pink and surprisingly gentle; as if in his current body he couldn't hurt a fly. His worried green eyes drift over me, saying everything and nothing all at once. As if I'm the vulnerable one; the one he's worried might break.

"You seem to be forgetting that I had you completely fooled when we first knew each other." I snap itching with irritation. "Back when Strange locked you up, I did an excellent job playing the damsel in distress."

He rolls his eyes, and lets out a soft chirp of a chuckle, "So you did Little Witch. So you did." Then he swiftly reaches down to scoop some dirt off the ground and before I can stop him, wipes it on my face.

"Hey! What the hell?!"

"Just making sure you look the part, my dear." He replies coolly.

"Yeah well, not on my face!" I snap, wiping the excess dirt off my cheek.

"As you wish." He replies with a careless shrug. Then his lean frame kneels once more to grab another scoop of dirt and he wipes it on my arm, starting at my wrist. His fingers are smooth and cautious as he slowly crawls up to my shoulder, his expression focused. My breath hitches as his fingers languidly cross my collarbone, then hesitate at the base of my throat. Even in his female form, his touch unnerves me, his skin a strange combination of hot and cold that make me feel like I'm burning dangerously with fever. I swallow nervously, as his eyes meet mine in what seems to be a question of permission. I nod slightly, not trusting myself to speak, allowing him to smear the dirt across my exposed chest and then carefully onto my dress. Heat rises in my cheeks and I feel as though his hand is carving me in two, splitting me to my core. His gentle hand moves down my chest, passes between my breasts and keeps moving downward, hovering just above my waist. My breath shudders when he finally stills, but he doesn't move away or lift his hand off me. Instead his bright eyes search mine and instinctively I recoil and clear my throat; forcing out nervously, "I think that's enough to be convincing."

He cocks his head and his expression becomes hooded as he purrs slyly. "Just trying to keep you alive, dear Little Witch."

I roll my eyes, as I feel my heart swivel shut. "How very chivalrous of you."

Loki rolls his shoulders back, then in one swift movement, his hand grabs mine and again, I feel that same flash of heat and cold surge through my bones.