Ch. 13 (PG-13, D): Fallout

Start from the beginning

Jocelyn on phone:  “Marcia, this Jocelyn, Matthew Drake’s … friend.”  Of course Jocelyn is more than Matthew’s friend.

Marcia on phone:  “Jocelyn!  Before you say anything else, I have to tell you that Matthew’s Aunt Madge informed us this morning that she does not want Matthew to have any contact with you.” Marcia says quickly.

Jocelyn on phone: “Ohh!”  Jocelyn sighs deeply in a hushed whisper as her worst fears are confirmed and she covers her mouth as her tears begin to fall again.

Marcia on phone:    “Madge Drake is Matthew’s legal guardian and we have to follow her wishes.  I can’t facilitate contact between you and Matthew.  Nor can I discuss him with you.” Marcia intones professionally--if not her personally totally agreeing with Aunt Madge on this decision.

Jocelyn on phone:  “No, of course not.  I understand.”  Jocelyn sighs with sad resignation--because she really doesn’t understand why Matthew’s aunt feels the way she does about their relationship. But Jocelyn regroups to continue with her reason for contacting Marcia Glass.  “That’s not why I’m calling.  I don’t expect you do to anything that would compromise you or Matthew.   I just … I just wanted to thank you for the guidance you have given me.  And, well, and to give you my cell phone contact information in case Matthew needs me at some point in the future--and you deem it appropriate or necessary for him to reach me.”

Marcia on phone:  “Alright, that sounds fair.”  Marcia bites her lower lip and shakes her head.  She no more believes that Jocelyn is the bad guy in this scenario, than she does herself.  Though perhaps, Marcia feels a little guilty for essentially recommending Jocelyn think of Matthew foremost as a man, rather than a man with health issues.  But however contrite Marcia feels, she cannot break her medical patient confidentiality codes.

So, Jocelyn gives Marcia her contact information.  Then Jocelyn transfers to a hotel in another part of London.

***

When Matthew awakens in his bedroom in his Aunt’s apartment on Wednesday morning, his Aunt Madge refuses to let him see Jocelyn.  Matthew tries to counter her arguments, but his calming medicine--that his Aunt Madge insisted that he take before he went to bed last night--clouds his mind.  And without Jocelyn by his side, Matthew does not have his strongest supporter.  So, he acquiesces to his aunt’s wishes.  But in the back of his mind, Matthew knows that he has lost something precious again--a chance for a loving future--and he grieves for losing Jocelyn and regrets bitterly how his aunt treated her.

And then for Matthew, today--Wednesday--becomes like any other day in his life the past two years--filled with meaningless work at the post office, helping his aunt in the flower shop in the afternoon, and being and feeling alone.  Except, the previous five days with Jocelyn in his life, gave Matthew a glimpse of and a hope for a different way of life--back to a full and rich life that he once had.  A life that Jocelyn’s love might have made possible. 

Matthew tries to contact Jocelyn at her hotel by walking there Wednesday afternoon--without his aunt’s permission--him reasoning that Jocelyn might be out job hunting in the morning, since that was her pattern when they were together.  But the hotel apologizes that with regret they are not able to be forthcoming about Ms. Jocelyn Burrows transfer to a new hotel--at her express wishes.   Matthew becomes completely disheartened about his relationship with Jocelyn.  He thought that Jocelyn would at least try to see him--and allow him to see her--if only secretly, until they could convince his Aunt Madge that they should be together.  But Jocelyn has left and Matthew does not know how to begin to find her. Matthew feels even more alone and abandoned now, than before he met her.  However Matthew does not blame Jocelyn.  He blames his aunt.