Ch. 9 (PG-13): Through Others' Eyes

"Lost & Found" (Revised), Ch.  9 (PG-13): Through Others' Eyes, November 06, 2014 Gratiana Lovelace

(An original fiction copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace;  all rights reserved)
[(1) top right, story logo]  

[I will illustrate my story using my dream cast of --Richard Armitage for Matthew Drake, Kate Beckinsale for Jocelyn Burrows, Brenda Blethyn for Aunt Madge, Michael Crawford for Michael Ferguson, Gina McKee for Marcia Glass, James Frain for Vicar Nelson Marshall, and others.] 

Author's Mature Content Note:  "Lost & Found" is story with mature themes (D for drama and S for sensuality) of love and relationships.  Most chapters will be PG or PG-13. However, if you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings I provide, then please do not read that chapter.  This is my disclaimer.

Recap from the previous installment:  Saturday evening Madge and Michael reconnect romantically as lovers.  Then Sunday morning, they and Matthew are surprised and delighted, respectively, to find Jocelyn had chosen their church to attend for morning worship services--rather than the more showy church nearer her hotel.  As soon as Matthew notices Jocelyn sitting on the other side of the center aisle in their small church sanctuary, he is transfixed.  And ultimately, he goes to sit with her as he heads back from communion. Jocelyn is pleased to see him.  But Matthew's Aunt Madge is not pleased that he seems so attached to Jocelyn so quickly.  However her manfriend Michael Ferguson urges her to let it go for now so as to not create a scene in church.  And in the glow of beginning some kind of a relationship--be it friendship or romantic--with Matthew, Jocelyn is unaware of Aunt Madge's possible concerns.  Jocelyn and Matthew have yet to face the scrutiny of others.

"Lost & Found" (Revised), Ch.  9 (PG-13): Through Others' Eyes

At the after Sunday worship services reception in the Parish Hall is where parishioners and visitors can chat and get to know each other better, Matthew.  And Matthew and Jocelyn[(2) right], and Madge and Michael do just that as they sit at the folding tables and chairs--serviceable, but by no means comfortable.   And it isn't really a hall, as much as it is a large room with a kitchen off to the side for Parish food socials.  

It is about 8:45am, and Matthew's bedtime calming medicine that he took the night before is still in his system--making him a seem a little docile, a tad childlike.  Matthew and Madge choose to attend the early service because it has fewer people at it--something Matthew prefers--and no one bothers them or asks questions about Matthew's situation and reserved behavior. 

But vicars always like to draw people out, to see where their assistance might be needed.  And Vicar Nelson is no exception as he joins the Drake-Ferguson-Burrows table in the Parish Hall.  Both Matthew and Michael stand out of respect and courtesy.

Vicar Nelson: "Ms. Drake and Matthew, it's good to see you, again."  Matthew and the vicar shake hands.

Madge smiles pleasantly and nods her head to the vicar for greeting her first.  It is a mark of distinction to have the vicar pay attention to this small protocol.  Madge is not only a member of the Altar Guild--though not serving in rotation today--she is also a successful business woman with regard to her flower shop.  And the vicar is aware of Matthew's health situation due to Madge confiding in him when she felt most stressed in the beginning.

Matthew:   "Thank you.  It is good to see you, too, Vicar."  Matthew nods with a smile, parroting what the Vicar said.  Matthew [(3) right]  tends to do that more when his calming medicine influences him--as it still does this early morning, from his bedtime pill last night.