Ch. 4: Jocie has Lunch with Matthew and Aunt Madge

“Lost & Found” (Revised), Ch. 4: Jocie has Lunch with Matthew and Aunt Madge, October 22, 2014 Gratiana Lovelace

(an original fiction copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace;  all rights reserved)

[(1) right top, story logo] 

[I will illustrate my story using my dream cast of:  Richard Armitage for Matthew Drake, Kate Beckinsale for Jocelyn Burrows, Brenda Blethyn for Aunt Madge, and Michael Crawford for Michael Ferguson.]

Author’s Mature Content Note:  “Lost & Found” is story with mature themes (D for drama and S for sensuality) of love and relationships.  Most chapters will be PG or PG-13. However, if you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings I provide, then please do not read that chapter.  This is my disclaimer.

Recap from the previous installment:  Jocelyn Jocie Burrows arrived from America and quickly lost her way in London after walking away from her  hotel to sight see.  But she found new friends in flower shop proprieter Aunt Madge and her grown nephew Matthew Drake.  Matthew guides Jocie to a nearby small park where they chat and enjoy the scenery.  Matthew is a tall, quiet, and reserved man and Jocie observes that Matthew communication seems to lack emotion.  Then Matthew had gone back upstairs to his and his Aunt’s apartment upstairs upon their return to the flowershop, Jocie learned from Matthew’s Aunt Madge that he was in a devastating car accident where his wife and son were killed and he was severely injured.  Jocie’s compassionate nature is deeply affected by their family’s sorrow.  And Jocie’s compassion for and acceptance of Matthew’s health situation will be crucial for his improvement.

“Lost and Found” (Revised), Ch. 4:  Jocie has Lunch with Matthew and Aunt Madge 

Jocie is still comforting Aunt Madge after learning about the loss of Matthew’s wife and child in the car accident when around 11:45am, Matthew walks back down the stairs at the back of the shop and walks over to see his Aunt.  Matthew’s arms are resting at his sides, but he flexes his fingers as he fidgets a bit nervously. When he is hungry, and his blood sugar is low, his body begins to give him such warning signs so that he eats something.

However, Matthew looks placidly at Jocelyn--the new person he met today. Jocie smiles sympathetically at Matthew.  Matthew blinks in recognition and he slightly nods his head in acknowledgement.   He has seen the look of sympathy on Jocie’s face now on other people’s faces more times than he can count--and he has learned to tune them out.  In the beginning, other people’s sympathy would trigger waves of sorrow in Matthew.  But gradually over time, he has numbed himself to shield himself from feeling overwhelmed by grief.  Then Matthew turns to look at his Aunt Madge.

Matthew:  Almost like a little boy, Matthew [(2) right]  suggests hungrily.  “Aunt Madge, it is almost time for lunch.  We need to start making it.” 

Aunt Madge FP:  Aunt Madge smiles caringly at Matthew for him adhering strictly  to their midday ritual of sharing food together. She lightly touches his arm in loving support.  “Hhhh!  Yes, Matthew Dear, let me close up the shop first.”

Jocie:  “I have an idea.”  Jocie says cheerfully.  “Why don’t you let me take you both out to lunch?  You have both been so kind to me today and Matthew showed me the park.  I would like to say thank you in some small way.”

Aunt Madge FP:  “Oh, that’s a lovely thought, Dear, but the only reasonably priced lunch place nearby is our local pub down the lane.  And we don’t go in there.”  Aunt Madge [(3) right] looks at Jocie searchingly, trying to hide her expression from Matthew with her hand.