Chapter 9 - A Smile on My Face

Start from the beginning

"Jeongin, I thought I said way too many times about this?" And yes, he remembered my name very well now, much to my pleasure. We were practically on first name basis but here is the thing. Whenever I mentioned something concerned with the medicine or his treatments, he changed back to his stoney face and closed me off. I mean, his expression didn't change much as he had always looked neutral. But when he sees a book, his eyes showed an interested glint and a smile if I gave him a really good book. And that was so rare. I had seen that only once and not anymore.

Truth be told, he looked pretty handsome smiling. If only I could cut his hair off . . . And seeing his smile made me want to make him smile more. Now that I thought about it, I haven't heard him laugh either. I should find a book about jokes.

"What is the book about this time?" Hyung asked and I jolted back to reality.

"Romance."

"Erugh. To be honest, I hate romance books. They're not realistic," Seungmin hyung said, leaning on the door frame.

"This one is way too good. Trust me. I've read the whole thing." And it was true. I had read the book before giving him. But I swear they're all brand new. I was not giving him hand-me-downs, okay? I bought another copy for him.

"I don't. Your choices aren't that good."

"You complimented my gifts the last time?" I reminded him.

He rolled his eyes. "Why do you remember things like this so clearly?"

"It's a talent, hyung. A talent. But for real, you liked them enough to keep them, didnt you?"

"Sure, I did."

An idea suddenly got into my mind and I smirked. "Do you want a spoiler, hyung?"

He immediately scowled. "No spoilers. I thought I said that too?"

"It's very sad. I cried reading it," I said that with a straight face.

"I will see that myself." He closed the door. I was about to leave when he opened the door once again. He was a blushing mess. I blinked at his sudden change. A shy Kim Seungmin. I should probably go buy a lottery ticket already. "And . . . thanks, Jeongin. I actually appreciate your gifts."

I gaped. Is Kim Seungmin actually saying something nice to me? Has the sun risen from the west? Has the sky turned into the earth? I smiled and hugged him hard. Seungmin hyung struggled but I was stronger than him. "I swear I have never heard anything that is nicer than this from you. Sweet god, today is the best day. I should mark the date on the calendar," I told him.

"Jeongin . . . Fuck . . . I can't breathe," hyung wheezed and I let him go, smiling sheepishly. He bit his lip in a shy manner and closed the door quickly. His face was so red. I let out some laughs in a giddy manner. That was truly amazing. I can't believe I finally got a compliment from him. All my efforts were not a waste at all.

"Innie, you're okay, right?" I heard Chan hyung's voice from my back. "You're laughing like a maniac and a dolphin combined."

"Can't help it," I had him in a headlock, smiling happily. "Hyung, this is the best fucking day of my life! I haven't been this happy since Mingyu gave me a whole lot of books and movies (CDs) for a present!'

"Stop, Innie. You're suffocating me!" Chan hyung whined. "And have some dignity."

"I don't care about that now." But I let him go.

"So . . . anyways . . . what happened and why?"

"Come in. I need to tell this to somebody. Good thing you came to check, hyung," I said as I opened the door and went in my room.