magnolia •fourteen

...

NYSSA

(Seven years and four months on the Isle of the Lost)

Maleficent and her spies everywhere watched for Hades. Maleficent wanted her revenge and if taking Mal wasn't enough already, the worst had yet to come.

Hades being spied on made it hard for him to visit the boys and I. I had seen Maleficent's goblin-looking minions stand outside my door when they drop off three year old Mal. Mal was coming over more and more to the point where she would stay overnight and be picked up the next day. I felt more relaxed when Mal was with me. Hades felt it too, Mal was in a safe place.

I was afraid, if I must be truthful. If Maleficent finds out about Hadie, she will focus her wrath on us just to hurt Hades. I couldn't let that happen, I wouldn't.

I'll let Maleficent believe she is in charge around here. I'll let her play her games, but the moment she comes close to hurting my children, she will be left in another dark abyss the same way Prince Philip left her.

Nyssa bounced baby CJ on her lap. CJ giggled every time she covers her face to "hide" from Nyssa. When she moves her hands away Nyssa makes a silly face for her. Nyssa saw Calista in CJ. In her hair, her eyes, it made her miss her best friend.

Even though Hook was doing surprising well taking care of three children, he often asked Nyssa for help when he was busy with his ship.

"You'll be so beautiful when you get older." Nyssa tells CJ, not that the baby understands and was just chewing on her knuckles. "You are going to break so many hearts. Though, I doubt your brother or father will allow you to even get close to a boy. They won't let you date till you're in your 40's." Nyssa says in baby voice mode. CJ giggled and kicks her feet.

Nyssa had put CJ down next to Hadie and he started to share his toys with her. As if on cue, Harry walks (or wobbles) over and sits between them. Nyssa chuckled to herself but let them be. It had only been the Hook siblings and Nyssa's kids that day. She had at least expected Mal to be dropped off like she always was, but no Mal that there.

It was fine, and the day was easier...ish. (During reading time, Harry often kept getting up and leaving and Nyssa had to force him to sit by her. Inizio had refused to eat a carrot and was sent to the corner for time out. Harriet often pulled on CJ's hair.) Other than that it was calm.

There was a loud knock at the door. Nyssa assumed it was Gaston again with his three boys. Opening the door, she saw someone she didn't expect.

"Mistress of Evil." Nyssa greets. Maleficent wore a serious face. They both stood there awkwardly.

"Well, aren't you going to let me in?" Maleficent asked harshly. She didn't wait for Nyssa's answer and pushes into the house.

"But Malef-"

"Fetch me a drink. Something strong." Maleficent interrupts. Nyssa didn't discuss and went to pour Mal's mother whatever she could find in her kitchen. Returning, she found Harry pulling on Maleficent's horns and Maleficent ready to toss him to the ground. Nyssa hurries over and replaces Harry with a cup of wine. She set Harry down to play with the other children. When turning back around, she caught Maleficent downing the wine in one breath. Maleficent wipes her mouth with her long black sleeve and hands the cup over. "More."

Nyssa stares blankly at her but returns the kitchen and grabs the whole bottle. She stopped before she could exit the kitchen and turned around to search in her cabinet. She looked through the many little vials before grabbing the right one and pulling out the cork. She poured what was in the vial, into the wine bottle and tosses the vial into the sink.

She returns and pours more wine in the cup. Maleficent reaches out and takes the bottle out of Nyssa's hand instead. Maleficent took a swig straight for the bottle.

Nyssa hesitated to sit but did to block the sight of the children. Maleficent continued to drink and the only noises heard was of the fussy children and the gulping of Maleficent.

"So, where is Mal?" Nyssa asks. Maleficent looks at Nyssa and glares.

"Mal, Mal, Mal. It's always about Mal!" Maleficent yells. The yelling scared Hadie and immediately he let out a wailing noise. Nyssa picked him up and cradled him in her arms trying to calm him. Nyssa hide his face from Maleficent's view.

But Maleficent watched careful. Nyssa sang softly until Hadie shut his eyes and went to sleep. Maleficent still drank as the beautiful woman put the child down.

"I don't know why I'm so jealous of a two year old." Maleficent says rubbing her face.

"Mal is three."

"Does that matter?" Maleficent asks in annoyance.

"I guess not." Nyssa mutters to herself. She was heard, but Maleficent chose to ignore it.

"Love, it's sickening. My ex loved his brat daughter more." Maleficent spits. Nyssa froze from the mention of Hades but quickly tried to compose herself. Maleficent didn't see her.

"Did you love him?" Nyssa asks in hesitation.

"I'm not capable of loving anything." Maleficent says. She took another gulp before deciding to pass the bottle over for Nyssa to take a sip, but she refused it. Maleficent, feeling dizzy, leaned in closer to Nyssa and trailed a finger over her face.

"You have a beautiful face, use it well to get what you most desire." Maleficent says. She looks at the bottle in her hand, seeing it almost run out. She felt drunk, drowsy. Maleficent looks to the children hidden behind Nyssa.

"I commend you for your good wine because I some how see Hades' eyes on that baby." Maleficent points directly to Hadie before falling back in her seat, passed out. Nyssa places her finger under the nose of Maleficent to check for any breathing. When she did, she quickly stands and grabs Hadie from his place. In a panic, she started to pace back and forth.

Crap, what was she gonna do?

I'M BACK. IF YOU ARE AN AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER FAN, I HAVE A NEW BOOK CALLED "NATURAL". GO CHECK IT OUT AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.