magnolia •prologue

...

NYSSA

I was told I was a beauty, still am. I was lucky, unlike my sisters who weren't as fortunate as I was with looks. My last name was Tremaine and I was the step-sister of Cinderella. My mother and sister bullied and abused Cinderella, of course I did too, but not as extreme as they. You should already know the Cindy's story, she got lucky to have such tiny feet.

A year later after Cinderella married her prince, my family and I and many other people were sent to an island that was in no living condition. I was 19 when it happened, I went from riches to rags. For three years I've lived on the island, called the Isle of the Lost. I no longer lived with my mother and sisters because they bicker too much.

I remember one particular day that changed my life forever. I would alone the streets when I saw a crowd of people looking up at the sky. It peeked my curiosity and I joined the group. There, I had found my sister, Anastasia, among them.

"Anna, what is going on?" Suddenly, a firing noise when off and saw fireworks. Beautiful and of all colors.

"The birth of King Beast and Queen Belle's son." Anastasia says. People watch the fireworks, a beautiful display. They didn't care much for the new baby's birth, at all. Everyone was awing them colors, some with smiles on their face. I remember one who was not interested in them. I saw him there he leaning up against the wall and watched the fireworks with an angry look.

It was Hades. He must have felt me staring at him because he looked my way. I nod at him and look back at the fireworks. I know felt stares on me and I knew who it was but I didn't look. I get Anastasia's attention, instead.

"I'm leaving, I'll come and see Anthony tomorrow morning." I tell her, she nod and waves me off. Anastasia was probably my favorite sister, but I wouldn't tell her or Drizella that. I never looked back at Hades.

Far from the noise as it grew quieter and quieter, I heard wailing in the streets. It was cries of a baby, I know that for sure. There have been made babies born that year so the wailing was a regular noise. It was different, this wailing wasn't coming from inside a house. I walked closer to where the cries where coming from. I found myself in a dark, cold alley. By the wall there was a basket.

I hesitate to open it, but I do nonetheless. Inside was a baby who screaming at the top of it's lungs. I shushed it gently, but it did not work. I picked it up out of the basket and cradled it in my arms. Rocking back and forth, the baby finally settled down and just stares back.

That day, that day changed my life, because that was the day I met my son.