Chapter 14, Girlfriend

Jason pov

Here I sit, opposite of the girl I fell in love with months ago, not knowing what to say. Those dark brown eyes scan my face. She pulls her legs up and sits more comfortably on the couch turned to me. She puts her arm on the backrest and leans her head on her fist, mirroring my positions.

This reminds me of the night at her house, the night from the accident when she fell asleep in my arms. The night changes a lot, for me and for her, I guess.

And here we are sitting in silence while she is waiting patiently for me to answer her. I look at the table. I know she is looking at me this whole time, and I let her. I act like I don't notice it because I know she will stop looking otherwise.

For almost 2 months I haven't been so close to her. Her sent is so much better than I remember. The vanilla and lavender scent fill my longs and I keep on breathing it in, not knowing when the next time I will smell it will be.

I decided not to tell her, not about what happened, not about who or what I'm, not about what she is. I was so convinced it would be better for her but she doesn't seem to get better. I thought she was getting better, she went back to school but acted out and didn't look happy at all, which was totally heartbreaking to see. Then she got sent out of class more often and still wasn't happy. Then finally she started looking better like she actually wanted to feel like her old self again and than Ashley started to mess up stuff.

I look up straight into her curious dark eyes. To my surprise, she doesn't look away. She keeps on looking me in my eyes and it's just so peaceful. She doesn't look so sad, or irritated or angry. Her expression is just so relaxed.

I let my eyes go over her face. She looks beautiful, so comfortable. She is not wearing her glasses anymore, I thought they looked cute on her. Her hair is a bit longer so it just falls over her shoulder. She gained weight since she had been back from the hospital, she is not back to her old weight yet but she is getting closer.

She brushed her fingers through her hair, letting one straight of hair fall over her eyes a little. It takes a lot in me not to grab it and push it back in place. Before I would have done it, right now I'm just a straighter to her.

I look back at her face while she was still looking at mine. Like she really sees me, does she remember something about me, maybe just a little thing. Why else would she keep looking at me like this? Does she feel like there is something, something between us?

And then there it was, she smiles at me, a little heartwarming smile and I smile back.

Fuck

Fuck this

How can I keep lying to her face like this, like everyone else have been because I said it would be the best not to tell her. I'm not gonna lie anymore. I never wanna put her in danger again, so no magical world stuff. I just tell her what she wants to know.

I break our eye contact and wipe my hand over my face.

''You were the one showing me around the school,'' I finally speak up as the scene plays in front of my eyes.

When I look back I see her eyes go wide. She opens her mouth to say something but she changes her mind.

She keeps on looking at me but now with a frown on her face. 

''That's it? Just the tour?'' she looks at me.

Should I tell the truth? Yes, I can't lie anymore.

''No,'' I look at my hands and clear my thoughts before looking at her again.

''We talked from time to time,'' That's also true. Why do I feel the need to look away, like I'm lying?

She squeezes her eyes together but still doesn't look away.

''Were we friends?''

''Ha,'' a weird laugh leaves my mouth before I look away. Friends? No, we weren't friends...right? I think we were more than friends. Or not yet, we could have been, we were about to go on a date after the wedding. 

She frowns now and leans away, ''OK so no friend...'' She looks at her phone now to see if someone reacted.

Probably hoping someone will rescue her from me.

She turns her phone around with the screen down and looks at me again.

''So...didn't we get along?'' 

''No, we did get along...'' Am I gonna use the word? I will regret it, ''We were kind of friends.'' I think I just put myself in the friendzone.

She gives me an awkward smile and I'm feeling myself doing the same thing. 

Her eyes suddenly light up and she turns fully my way, in a cross-legged position.

to my surprise she asks: ''So do you have a girlfriend?''

Why is she asking? I scan her face, looking for emotions but she has a good poker face. Did she hear something about me having a girlfriend?

''No, why?''

She leaned back and the relaxed vibe is back.

''Well, Ashley said....''

I could have known Ashley had something to do with this.

''Ashley is not my girlfriend,''

''Ok then who is? and why was she saying I was stealing her boyfriend and then looking at you?''

I hear the suspicion in her voice, she gonna ask a question and I gonna tell her as much of the truth I can.

''I don't have a girlfriend, and I don't like Ashley. She was kinda interested in me and then she saw me talking to you, that's it.''

A small smile plays on her lips, ''Yeah, she is crazy,'' she rolls her eyes in a cute way.

''Yeah,'' what should I tell her? I look at her looking at her phone. 

Silence fills the room, and it's not an uncomfortable one. But I decided to break it again because I don't think I will get more chances like this.

"So is your head feeling better, do the medicine already work?''

''Yeah, I don't know why but I feel better than I did for the last weeks,'' she leans her head back against the headrest. ''I feel less anxious,''

She feels the way she looks, more relaxed. She opens her eyes again and smiles embarrassed.

''Weird ha?''

''No, not at all, I happy you feel that way,'' she locked her eyes with mine again. ''Since yesterday I thought that you were starting to feel better,''

''Because I looked better? Because I did my hair and make-up?'' She doesn't sound mean, but she sais it with an attitude like are you stupid.

Well yeah, actually I did. I thought she was feeling like her old self again so that's why she started to look like it.

''You look beautiful, just like you did last week before the make-up and hair. I just thought that maybe you felt like your old self again.''

Her eyes shoot away by hearing my words, not knowing how to react. She starts scratching the nail polish off her nails. Did I make her feel uncomfortable by saying this? She doesn't know how close we were so maybe it's weird that I cared.

When she looks up at me I see that her eyes turn cold again.

What happened???

''Thanks,'' she said just when the door opened again.

Mister Red stands in the door opening and Cira is gone before I could say something.

A/N

Sorry for the long wait, I'm really busy with school and work and stuff. I hope to have more time to write now.

I hope everyone is doing fine!

Thanks for reading my story, I know I don't have a lot of reads and votes but I really really appreciate the ones I have! I really really love reading the comments and I'm so happy that there are some people out there that like this story so really thanks!