xxxiii. what you deserve

Start from the beginning

"What's your point, Jake?"

His expression was apologetic as he met her eyes. "I like you, Kamille, but you don't like me like that. I understand that and I'm sorry for making things weird. But I still care about you and want to help. I promised you I would step up and make this place good, make peace with Walker."

"Going over there wasn't what I meant," Kamille told him exasperatedly. "He could have killed you! And now he has Alicia!"

Jake licked his lips as he shook his head. "Alicia came to me. She overheard our conversation yesterday. When you said all that stuff about staying here for them, and how you couldn't do it anymore... she heard and she came to me because she wanted to make things right. She wanted to help me make peace with Walker. For you."

Kamille breathed out slowly, eyes lowering to the floor as Jake spoke. She hadn't meant for Alicia, or any of the Clarks, to hear her outburst to Jake. Now Alicia had put her life in danger for her, and she couldn't feel any more guilty.

"She insisted she stayed there whilst I talked to my dad about the deal we negotiated," Jake continued. "I told her to come back instead, that I would stay, but she's as stubborn as you, Kamille. She refused."

"That sounds like Alicia..."

Jake stepped forward. "I promise you that I would never have left her behind and in danger, knowing what she means to you," he said truthfully. "I didn't ignore what you asked and I meant what I said."

Kamille looked up and saw he was genuine. She knew he was doing his best, and he must have seriously cared about her if he had listened to what she asked. She felt bad that she didn't like him the same way, but was glad she had him in her life as a friend nonetheless.

"Walker promised he wouldn't harm her," he said softly. "She's safe."

Kamille frowned. "He killed Travis, Jake... she's all I have. I can't... I can't lose her, too."

"Do you trust me?" he asked. "Do you trust Alicia?"

Kamille sighed. "Of course I do."

"Then trust that this will work," he said. "I've dealt with Walker a long time. He's serious about this negotiation. And Alicia believes in it, too. We both believe this is the answer to establishing peace. I know you want her back, but we have to be patient."

Kamille relaxed her shoulders as she nodded slowly, in agreement. "Patient. Got it."

If Alicia thought this was the right thing to do, then Kamille did, too. She was a smart girl, she wouldn't have done this without thinking about it first. And Jake was backing her, he wasn't stupid. If they said it could work, then it could work.

"Thank you for hearing me out," Jake spoke, nodding, his nervousness returning.

"Thank you for doing the right thing, even if it's dangerous," Kamille replied, smiling a little to ease the tension.

"I hope things between us aren't weird," he said, rubbing the back of his neck with embarrassment.

"They don't have to be if we don't make it," Kamille assured.

He breathed out with relief. "Right."

"How did it go with your dad?" Kamille asked, taking a seat at the table. "I can't imagine he's impressed."