Chapter Ten - Cheerleader

Start from the beginning

“Look it’s not like I’ve liked you for three years…”

“How long have you liked me?” He asks. Crap, I wasn’t expecting him to ask that. He’ll know if you’re lying Dean. He always knows. You’re a shit liar. Thanks for the motivation.

“Errrrr, two years?” I say in a squeaky voice, scrunching my face up slightly. Cas’ mouth drops open and his eyes go wide, looking at me in shock.

“Two years?” He repeats and I nod my head and sigh.

“It’s not that bad, you know. Just a thing that I’ll get over.” I tell him and he shakes his head.

“How long have you been telling yourself that Dean?”

“Two years.” I snort out at the irony and start playing with my food on my fork. This is probably the only time that I don’t actually have any appetite for pie left. Wow, something really must be wrong with me.

“Oh Dean,” He sighs out, looking at me pityingly. “I’m so sorry that I never realised before.”

“Wait… how old are we now?” I cut him off.

“18, why?”

“Oh…. Yeah I lied it hasn’t been two years.” He raises an eyebrow at me and I look up at him, itching the stubble on my cheek. “It’s been four years.”

“Jesus Christ.” He breaths out, playing with his lip ring with his teeth which made me squirm slightly but luckily he didn’t notice. “Four years?” I nod my head but don’t reply to him. “Do you remember when you first started liking me?”

“Well, I started thinking weird things at first but I sort of mentally slapped myself whenever I did.” I mumble out, looking down at my hands. “But the time when I found out I liked you was when we went to that theme park when we were fourteen. This little kid dropped her ice cream on the floor and her mom wouldn’t get her a new one so with the rest of your money you bought this little girl an ice cream and gave it to her. She was so happy and I was just watching from a distance and I realised that I wanted to … well, be with you.” Me and Cas slipped back into silence again, him probably thinking about what I just said and me not wanting to go into this conversation right now.

“Can we just forget about it? It’s not like I let it change our friendship or anything and I still won’t let it now. I would rather have you as just a friend than not have you at all.” I look up at his blue eyes and he looks back at me seriously before smiling sadly and nodding his head. It was so frustrating not knowing what was going on in his mind, I would pay my soul to figure out what he was thinking.

The rest of the dinner date went smoothly. It’s not a date Dean. Shut up, I can pretend can’t i? Anyway, the rest of dinner went smoothly and I finally rode me and Cas home, talking about random things such as pranks that we could play on Sam, Gabriel and Balthazar or me asking if he was coming to my next game. I parked the car outside my house and we waved each other goodbye before heading in.

“Dean wait!” He called me and I spun around. He was stood awkwardly and tugging at his awful looking trench coat as if not knowing what to say next.

“Yeah, bee?” I ask him, taking a step back towards him.

“I’m really sorry I can’t return the feelings Dean and even if I did I don’t think we would ever be together. I wouldn’t want to ruin what we have now as a friendship. Our friendship will always come first to me Dean and I want to keep it that way.” I nod my head sadly, not giving him any words before walking into my house and leaving him outside on the street looking at me with such pity in his eyes.