Prologue

Merpeople could not leave the ocean.

   Merpeople were tied to the ocean by a special bond, the Illuminating Sphere. It was not only such a strong bond that merpeople lost the ability to leave the ocean, but it was also the source of light for the world, both the underwater ocean world and the magical world on the land beside the vast ocean.

   There was, however, a single, unknown to most way for merpeople to leave.

   The Shadow of Death. The Illuminating Sphere controls merpeople by their shadows and merpeople shadows change upon death. The Shadow of Death, however, is changing one's shadow so that it becomes that of a member of the dead.

   Not many choose this. Merpeople don't need to leave the ocean anyway.

   But it was the path Lora Chaoi chose.

   For Christopher White. Her lover.

   Lora's head left the surface of the ocean. She had beautiful light blue hair, the same colour as the sky, and matching blue eyes, though two tones darker.

   Christopher, I'm here, Lora thought. She tore off her necklace, the symbol of her being a mermaid, and her light blue shadow immediately turned black. She rose out of the water, the beam of light following her no longer there, as she slowly landed on the beach and became human.

   Lora's hair had turned to a light shade of brown, and so did her eyes, though still two tones darker than her hair. She was dressed in a simple blue T-shirt and black tights.

   Lora smiled and started running towards town.

Three Weeks Later

   "Muru!" Thirty wizards stood together, pointing their wands at the coming wave.

   The ocean had started to be restless since that morning. With every wave, the power of the waves grew, and the bright light darkened a bit. The sea was almost black now.

   Nobody but Lora knew why. It was because of her. she did not perform the Shadow of Death perfectly, and now the light was fading.

   Lora leapt into the ocean.

   The waves immediately quietened. But the light did not reappear.

   The town burst into chaos.

   Christopher watched from afar, silent tears pouring down his face.

A/N: Do you like this story?