chapter 49

A limo driver picks her up and drives to a beautiful pier. He opens Ruby's door and there was Clark in a nice suit and tie holding a rose. And behind him was a small yacht lit up with twinkly lights. She walks up to him with a surprised look.

"Oh my god Clark...this is incredible," Ruby said.

"Do you like it?" Clark asked.

"Are you kidding? I love it!" Ruby says as she pulls him for a hug.

"I'm glad you love it. I wanted to do something special for you." Clark said.

"Well, you definitely succeeded. And let me say that you look so handsome right now. I mean you always look handsome." Ruby said.

"And you look absolutely ravishing," Clark says as he takes her hand and kisses it.

"My my, what a gentleman," Ruby said.

"Always," Clark said.

He hands her the rose and sticks his arm out.

"Shall we?" Clark asked.

"We most definitely shall," Ruby said.

She links her arm with his and he leads her onto the yacht. A man comes up to them with a bottle of sangria and two wine glasses.

"Drinks for the lovely couple?" He asked.

"Yes." Ruby and Clark said.

He pours them their drinks and returns to the cabin to drive the boat. Clark and Ruby were sitting at the cockpit sipping the sangria and listening to some music.

"Oh wow. This view is so pretty." Ruby said.

"Just like you," Clark said.

Ruby laughs at his cheesiness.

"You're so corny, but it's so damn cute," Ruby said.

"It blows my mind that you're still with me," Clark said.

"What do you mean?" Ruby asked.

"I mean.....after all, we've been through. The ex-lovers and new lovers came into the picture and I thought it was over between us." Clark said.

"I thought so too Clark. But it's fate that we're still together. Despite all of the life threatening bullshit, we made it through together. I mean I should be saying the same thing. I don't even know what you see in me." Ruby said.

Clark grabs Ruby's hand and rubs her knuckles with his thumb.

"Ruby, you are my strength. You are not only the sails that steer my ship, but you are also the waves below that carry me. Without you, I would cease to have a backbone, as you are the entire foundation holding me up. I could never think of a day where you are not with me. I imagine if that day came, I would become weak. I would crumble into a coward. But together we are strong. We are unstoppable. That is why I love you." Clark said.

Ruby's heart starts beating fast. She's never heard a man ever utter those kinds of words to her.

"Clark...that was beautiful," Ruby said.