Chapter 1

Chapter 1 

"You said I was the one, Alex! How could you do this to me?!" 

"Baby, you are so gullible." He chuckled. I bit back the urge to punch him. I needed answers. 

"We had sex! How can you say that? I loved you." I said the last part almost as a whisper. 

"It was just a game. Geesh, why are you so clingy? You weren't even that good." He sounded bored. 

"Just a game?" 

"It was all a bet. To see how long I could make you sleep with me. You didn't actually think I was in love with someone like YOU right?" the tears I've been holding back were burning my eyes as I heard the chorus of laughter around us. 

"No. No. I loved you" 

~~~~~ 

"Mika! Snap out of it!" my thoughts were interrupted and all of a sudden I remembered where I was. 

"Sorry Tay, I was just thinking" 

"Of what? Your speech?" he asked, while dragging me down the hallway. 

"Err. Yeah." I straightened my midnight blue dress. It was my favourite dress when I would attend one of my dad's business luncheons. A slight pang made its way to my chest. I miss my dad. He passed away just last week from a heart attack and the pain is still fresh. I guess you could call me a daddy's girl. I loved my father with all of my heart, and I know he loves me too. Well, loved. That is the reason why I couldn't go against his last request, which is for me to run the business with my uncle. 

Good thing I had Taylor as my right hand man, since I've never been one for business. I was more of a socialite, with my petite curvy figure and fiery red hair, not to mention my murky green eyes. I was a stunner, or so I was told. I was a party animal, and for that was regarded as a bad seed in the social media. 

"Listen Mika, just go in there and mean business. Don't let them intimidate you. Your father was well respected and you should show them that you are his daughter." Tay said, interrupting my thoughts. 

I shook my thoughts away and nodded. He took this as a signal saying I'm ready and opened the double doors. I took a deep breath, then walked in. My heels clicked on the hardwood floors, which echoed around the room as I walked in, not bothering to make eye contact. When I got to the head of the table, I saw my uncle sitting there with a determined look, I held his gaze for 2 seconds then he cocked his head to the left, signalling me to face the board of directors. I nodded and faced the 9 people observing me. 

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I am Mikaela Jameson, and I will be your new CEO." I said sternly, sounding more professional than I thought I would. I wanted to say let's get down to business, but I thought it sounded too cliché. 

I surveyed the faces that were all looking at me. There were 7 men, and 2 women. Hmm, I guess women haven't dominated the business world as much as I thought after all. The man sitting on my right was about in his late forties and was smiling at me. I smiled back at him, thinking he could be one of my father's loyal companions in the business. To his right was a haughty looking woman with her brunette hair up in a very tight bun. She looked me up and down, and I could see her distaste in me. I huffed internally, she can judge me however she wants but I refuse to be intimidated by her. 

Before I could survey the other people, my uncle Drake cleared his throat and stood up. He placed his hand on my shoulder and looked at the people. 

"Mika here has shown a lot of potential to which my brother would want her to exercise in his company. If you have any doubts of her, please keep them to yourself. We wouldn't want Mika feeling doubtful of herself now, would we?" he said. I could hear the amusement in his voice. I looked up and gratefully smiled at him.