IV

four — three of cups.

upright: friendship, community, happiness

reversed: overindulgence, gossip, isolation

alternatively: liar liar, verity's robes are on fire! )

|

VERITY WAS ALREADY having a bad day before the Weasley twins set her on fire. The whiplash of excitement and confusion that occurred after the choosing of Champions had yet to simmer down despite it being three days later, the other schools still a bit sour at there being two Hogwarts Champions (it wasn't limited to just the foreign students though, several Hogwarts students were upset as well— namely Hufflepuffs, though some Slytherin and Ravenclaw students had jumped on the Harry-hating bandwagon).

Between making sure the Durmstrang students in her and Cedric's groups were finding their classes alright (she'd, admittedly, had forgotten how confusing the ever-shifting staircases were since she'd long since memorized the quickest routes), confiscating Potter Stinks! buttons much to the dismay of many students, and growing increasingly worried at the lack of letters from her father, Verity found herself quickly spiraling into a panicked mood.

She considered herself a rather level-headed person, but even the tiniest tasks had begun to stack up against her and she was nursing a week-long headache that refused to fully go away no matter how many Ache Away! potions Madame Pomphrey gave her.

By the time she's in double-Potions, she's ready for the entire week to be over, despite it only being Wednesday. Just two more days, she had to remind herself as she added in five drops of rotten blood to her simmering cauldron, the murky liquid taking on an indigo hue with a shimmering silver sheen, two more days and then it's the weekend.

Imogen curses under her breath next to Verity and she turns towards her friend. The tall girl is frowning down at her potion, "I don't think it's supposed to look like this," she hisses to Verity.

Verity peers down into her friend's cauldron, "Huh."

Imogen grimaces, "That bad?"

"Well," Verity glances again at the bright pink liquid, "I don't think it's supposed to be that pink, but it is supposed to be a soft pink after the fourth step."

"I'm on step seven."

"...oh."

As Imogen tries to salvage her potion, Verity stirs her clockwise eight times, occasionally offering Imogen advice. As she waits for her potion to boil, she pulls her hair back into a low ponytail at the base of her neck, not wanting to get the strands in her potion as she leans down to check it once more.