A Scandal in Belgravia: Chapter 13

Start from the beginning

"So what do you keep on here– in general, I mean?" Sherlock asked as he twirled the phone in his hands, trying to see its secrets by staring at it. You leaned back to watch Irene closely, you wanted to see how long it would take her to notice it was a fake. You didn't underestimate her like Sherlock had.

"Pictures, information, anything I might find useful." Irene sighed, staring at the phone in his hands. She shuffled uncomfortably in her seat as she focused on the phone. She hadn't yet realized the swap, and if she did she was doing a good job at hiding it.

"What, for blackmail?" John questioned, you'd figured out that much already. She wasn't interested in blackmail, something more: protection.

"For protection. I make my way in the world; I misbehave. I like to know people will be on my side exactly when I need them to be." Irene's eyes broke from the phone as she said that, turning to look over you. You crossed your arm over your chest, uncomfortable under her intense stare. Sherlock followed her gaze, shaking his head before he regained focus.

"So how do you acquire this information?" He asked seriously as Irene's eyes stayed on you.

"I told you– I misbehave." She smiled finally looking back at him, breaking her staring contest with you.

"But you've acquired something that's more danger than protection. Do you know what it is?" Sherlock inquired.

"Yes, but I don't understand it." She looked over to him with an innocent look, you instantly didn't trust it.

"I assumed. Show me." Sherlock ordered her.

"No." You blurted, causing both of them to look at you. Sherlock gave you a glare and Irene raised her eyebrows, maybe looking... impressed? You couldn't tell.

"What? Why not?" Sherlock asked, trying to find answers in your eyes as he quickly looked over you. You felt good he didn't doubt you. You shook your head, not having a good reason for her to not show him whatever mess she had gotten herself into. You'd be ruining Sherlock's entire plan if you tried to prevent it, so you didn't want to push his nerves and make him mad at you all over again.

"I... I don't... " You sighed, raking a hand through your hair. "Never mind." Sherlock's eyes watched you a few moments longer before he turned to Irene expectantly. Irene held her hand out, waiting for Sherlock to hand over the phone but he held it further back. Irene was smart enough to know he wouldn't just hand it over.

"The passcode." He ordered, the phone held tightly in his hand and away from her grip. You bit your lip, chewing on it. The feeling that something wasn't right ate at your stomach. You ignored it, knowing Sherlock would want his plan to go perfectly without any interruptions. Irene looked at him, not breaking her stare as she continued to hold her hand out for the phone. Sherlock sighed, finally handing it over to her. You watched her closely as she stood, holding it in her hands, looking it over. She typed a code into it and looked up at Sherlock, confused. A rather good fake confusion, Sherlock hadn't fooled her.

"It's not working." She continued her confusion and you hated to rain on Sherlock's parade, but you decided to not embarrass him with his kinda not very thought through plan.

"Yeah, that's because it's a fake, but you already knew that didn't you? And to prove it, Sherlock." You stood, grabbing the real phone from where you assumed Sherlock had hidden it and tossed it over to him along with the fake phone. Sherlock eyed you, typing in the code Irene had entered into the fake one into the real one. You knew it didn't work from the look on his face. "I told him it wouldn't fool you, he didn't listen." You told her, leaning your hip against Sherlock's chair.

"Well, I told him that camera phone was my life and he didn't listen either. It's a girl thing isn't it?" She asked, smiling at you.

"I suppose so." You nodded. "I did tell him you're rather good."