chapter twenty-six

Start from the beginning

The kiss takes all the air from my lungs and his tongue urges for my mouth like we don't have all the time in the world. It's demanding and rough, filled with anger but I still melt on his touch, craving this as much as him. We are the same, two sides of the same coin. Too stubborn and always wanting control so we don't have to talk about ourselves.

My lips are probably bruised when we part away, both of us breathing hard against each other and I'm out of words for what happened. One thing Damien knows is how to make me speechless.

"I know it was a shitty thing to do, let a girl wake up alone after sex but my dad was pissed at me and I needed to make up for it." He finally admits, seeming genuine in his words and all I do is nod, his thumbs carefully drawing circles on my lower stomach that is bare with the cropped hoodie I'm on.

I know I told myself to stay away from him and his family, especially from his business but my heart is drawn by the danger, by the feeling of being alive so I decide to follow my instinct.

"What happened? You can trust me." I place my right hand on his cheek, my fingers resting in his hair, and Damien sighs but before I can tell it's alright if he doesn't say anything, he lets out what's in his head, not worrying about anything else.

"The night of the party was an important day for the gang. We would take control of a part of the city run by the Cobras's but my guys fucked up. I was supposed to be there, to make sure we could get rid of Jace's people who are slaughtering everything on their way but I chose to not go and trusted that my crew would know what to do. A stupid fucking decision. Now, my dad is pissed and is taking out in everyone. " 

His eyes don't focus on me while talking, but I don't let him hide away from me anymore, not when I'm finally beginning to understand him. I place my hands on his chest and make him look straight at me, even if he doesn't want to. 

"I'm here for you, alright? You've helped me a lot, more than I could have ever wished for, and I want to give it back somehow." 

Damien nods and I give him a smile. His right-hand cups my cheek softly, so different from our touches earlier. This is kinder and I place my hand on his but with a swift motion, he takes it away, uncomfortableness clear all over his face. 

My breath becomes erratic at the same moment.

"What happened to your hand, Damien?" It must probably be an injury but I can't figure out with the minimum light we have in the room, he needs to tell me.

"It's nothing you should worry about, Lina." The lie escapes flawlessly from his lips, his other hand covering the injured one but I'm not naive. If Damien thinks he can hide things from me in plain sight, he's dumb as hell. 

I turn on the light by pressing the switch behind me, standing still now in the illuminated room. The office is modern, a glass table taking place in the middle of it and tall white bookshelves are on each wall. 

My heartbeat is fast against my chest but I take a deep breath as I analyze the boy in front of me, a death stare running on my face.

"Let me see it." That's all I say and the bad boy must have noticed the demand in my voice because he does exactly what I tell him to do. 

A smirk is clear on his lips before handing me his hand and I furrow my eyebrows at his gesture. What the fuck? 

I contain the gasp that dares to leave my mouth as I look at his deep red knuckles, some of them with remainings of dry blood. It's nothing serious and I can tell by the way it's moving perfectly fine but still, it must have been an impulsive act.

"What the hell happened?" 

"Remember yesterday when you kissed that boy?" Damien's smirk is still on but I still nod at his question, trying to comprehend his line of thought. When I finally get why his hand is like this, I can't help but widen my dark brown eyes at him. A low laugh escapes his lips.

"You punched a wall because of me?"