Kevin gave each of you a drink then returned to the cabana to fetch another for himself.

"He will just not give up," Jungkook seethed now that Kevin was out of earshot.

"It's just work, Jungkook," you tried to sooth him.

"Bullshit."

"I don't understand why it's a problem. You never cared before – why does he have you so upset?"

"Really?" he cocked his eye patronizingly at you. "Really? You really don't understand?" It felt as if he a stabbed you through the gut. You're breath caught in your throat as you stared dumbfounded back at him. That creeping thought you had been burying all week, was he now going to confirm?

Thankfully, Kevin reappeared and Jungkook snapped back into the roll of casual acquaintance. Of course, most of the conversation was about work, since that was the one thing you had in common. Well... the one thing you all knew you had in common. But as burnt out Friday minds prevailed, you abandoned shop talk for anything else... politics, hobbies, sports... You continued as casually as possible, but it was obvious that Jungkook was the outsider in this conversation. You and Kevin just clicked so well socially. You were beginning to feel self-conscious and internally cringed each time Kevin brought up some inside story that exemplified how much you two had bonded over this week.

"Speaking of," Kevin said as he took another sip of his beer and turned to you. "I wanted to talk to you about February."

"February?" you lied and pretended as if you didn't know what he was talking about. You weren't really sure why you lied, other than in a split second you thought maybe it would hurt Jungkook less if it seemed like February wasn't a big deal.

"Mr. Li's chalet," Kevin answered.

"Oh, right," you said. What a failure.

"Are you two going to a chalet together?" asked Jungkook.

"I think so," said Kevin.

"There's a bunch of people going," you shrugged your shoulders trying to imply it was no big deal. "Just a few CEOs and CFOs. Apparently, they do it every year." Despite your attempts, Jungkook's features hardened. Perhaps the casual observer wouldn't have noticed, but you certainly did.

"I can't wait to see you hit the slopes," said Kevin.

Dammit. Stop Talking.

"You ski?" Jungkook turned to you. You nodded passively.

"She doesn't just ski, she's a national champion," Kevin gushed.

"I... That's not entirely true," you replied. "I was a kid."

"But you're good," Jungkook figured.

You shrugged your shoulders. "It was a big part of my life for a long time."

Jungkook's subtle stiffness subsided, but it was replaced with... disappointment? Whatever it was, you felt bad. Why were you putting yourself through this?

"You know what," you stood up from the table. Kevin – again the gentleman – stood as well. Jungkook looked a little lost as to why everyone was standing. "I actually have a headache. I think I'm going to go lay down for a while."

"Are you okay? Can I walk you to your room?" Kevin asked.

"No, no. I'm fine please. I just need some alone time."

"Okay, well... if you need anything call me. I can bring you something from the restaurant and we can eat in your room?"

Honestly, you were almost prepared to snap at Kevin to leave you the fuck alone. You just wanted to leave, and he was getting in the way of that while simultaneously fanning the flames between you and Jungkook. But you didn't – he didn't deserve that.