Chapter Two

Chapter Two

The flight to Philippines was long and tiring to both of them since they don’t even talk to each other. Andrew tried to pass the time by talking to the lady next to him which somehow annoys Jade. The lady was really a master of flirtation and Andrew seemed to enjoy it, according to Jade anyway. At least Andrew doesn’t snore.

Getting off the plane, Andrew carried his laptop bag with his files and laptop inside.

Keeping up with Jade’s pace, they neared the security check area when a man in gray blazer, red polo shirt and black slacks bumped into him.

“Sorry. Excuse me.” The man said in his Spanish accent before walking away.

Andrew swore he saw a menacing glare from the man before masking it into a calm expression.

He shook his head thinking it must be just his imagination or he’s just tired from the long hours of travel. Taking one of Jade’s luggages in the baggage claim area, they went on their way to get a taxi.

“Can you take us to City Garden Suites?” Andrew asked.

“Which one?” the taxi driver asked.

“Let’s see.” Andrew said, taking out the note in his pocket. “It’s in A. Mabini Street, Ermita, Manila”.

“Okay.” The taxi driver said, helping them put their luggages in the trunk. Getting inside, the driver turned the meter on. Jade noted that the starting price is forty pesos.

Less than twenty minutes later, they arrived in the hotel.  While Andrew took out their luggages from the trunk, Jade paid two hundred and seventy pesos to the driver.

I could pay, you know. Andrew mentally said.

Jade went directly to the reception desk, settling the rooms she reserved while Andrew entered carrying the luggages.

Tired and sleepy, Jade talked to the receptionist while trying to keep her eyes open. When she finally settled it, she gave the other room’s key to Andrew who just came up to her and went up to their own rooms that is across from each other.

After Jade saw the bed, she immediately jumped on it, closed her eyes and drifted to a peaceful sleep.

Andrew placed his luggage near the closet. He took his laptop and files from the bag and started to read the information he gathered about Jude Griffin.

Jude Griffin is an American businessman who currently resides in Philippines. He married Doctor Catherine Lee, a half-Filipino and half-Korean widow with a seven-year old son. He then adopted the child who is now known as Caleb Lee Griffin. Two years after their marriage, his wife gave birth to a daughter and named her Joanna Lee Griffin.

Family records of Jude Griffin are either missing or unknown. Their only known family members are that of Catherine’s side of the family.

Staring at the picture of Jude Griffin, he can only guess that he and Jade’s mother who was then Agnes Castillo before she married Steve Adams had a relationship.

Other than that, he still couldn’t get the connection why a picture of him, Jade and Agnes was sent along with the message. The guy has a clean record in the NBI so far. And what would his motives be if he is the killer? Some ill feelings towards a past love? But why? He already has a family of his own. And his Carpentry business seems to be in good condition, in fact they are known within the nation.

As for Agnes Castillo-Adams, he also collected some information about her. She was a half-Filipino and half-American but as to her father’s name, whereabouts, it’s unknown, other than that he and Maria met on a club where Maria celebrated with her friends for passing the nursing board exam. The late Maria Castillo raised her child on her own with a bit of help by Agnes’s late grandparents and gave her a future through working odd jobs along with her job as a nurse. Two years after Agnes passed her Nursing board exam, she volunteered on a medical mission where she met Jude Davis, an American doctor who was a member of HealthPartners. A year later, they got married. Jade was born a year later. Two years later, the hospital where Jude Davis worked got burned down. His body wasn’t found.