xxx. focus on living

Start from the beginning

Kamille glanced at the handcuffs on her wrist, before meeting her eyes. "I'm sorry they've done this to you. I can try speaking with Jake if you'd like."

Luciana didn't respond, merely stared at Kamille with a blank expression.

"Nick told me about what Troy and his men did to your people," Kamille said, frowning. "I'm really sorry we couldn't help them."

Luciana's eyes cast down to her lap. "Troy is a murderer, yet they treat me like I'm the bad guy."

Kamille swallowed hard, knowing she was right.

"I can't stay here," Luciana said knowingly. "Not with these people."

"Are you gonna leave?"

Luciana looked up. "When I can move, then yes. You should think about leaving too, Kamille. This place wasn't built for people like us."

Kamille chewed on her lower lip, not wanting to get into this discussion yet again.

"I know a little about first aid," Kamille said, standing up. "If you feel like they aren't treating your injury well, tell Nick and I'll check you out. Though it seems to be okay for now."

Luciana said nothing.

"I should go, but it was nice meeting you, Luciana," Kamille said, making a move to leave. "Sorry it wasn't under great circumstances."

Kamille left when Luciana didn't reply, clearly plagued by her own thoughts and worries of this place. Kamille felt for her, she did. They'd hurt her people and shot her – she had every right to want to leave. But Kamille just couldn't. Luciana wouldn't get that.

The next morning, Kamille woke up to sunlight shining in her eyes through the cabin window. She stretched with a yawn, then carefully dropped out of the top bunk, noticing Madison and Nick's beds were empty. They must've already been up.

She looked to Alicia's bed below hers and was relieved to see her fast asleep, mixed in the covers. She hadn't come home last night and Kamille wanted to stay up, but Madison told her to call it a night and go to sleep. Kamille figured she'd spent the night with Gretchen and her friends, but that didn't make her worry any less.

Kamille leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to Alicia's forehead, being sure not to wake the sleeping girl. Only, she noticed the faint scent of alcohol stuck to her clothes and wondered what exactly Alicia and her new friends had been up to.

After getting ready, and noticing Alicia was still fast asleep, Kamille decided to go and meet Jake by the infirmary as he'd asked her to. To her surprise, he'd remembered and was standing there, looking around. When he caught her eyes, he smiled and waved her over.

"Honestly, I didn't think you'd remember," Kamille admitted when she approached him.

"Good morning to you, too," he joked, offering a smile. "You sleep well?"

Kamille shrugged. "I guess."

Jake motioned for her to follow him as he said, "That's good because I thought that I'd introduce you to a few people who work here. They agreed to meet with you, and if you want, you can work with them."