xxx. focus on living

Start from the beginning

Kamille nodded, a smile on her lips. "I'll see you after dinner, darling."

Alicia mirrored her smile before leaving the cabin to go see Gretchen. Kamille looked at the flowers once more before leaving the cabin as well, deciding to go and see Luciana. She wasn't sure if Nick was with her, but she hadn't been properly introduced to the girl and decided now was a better time than any to do that.

As she was walking, Jake spotted Kamille and joined her side with a friendly smile.

"Kamille, hey," he greeted, stopping her from walking. "How are you?"

Kamille smiled politely. "I'm good, Jake."

"What are you doing?" he asked with interest, clearly trying a bit too hard to make Kamille feel comfortable. She did appreciate it though.

"I'm about to go check in on Luciana," she said.

"At the infirmary," he said with a nod. "You know, Alicia told me about how you were studying to be a doctor before all of this happened."

Kamille shrugged halfheartedly. "Yeah, but that's history now."

"It doesn't have to be," he said, before adding, "I mean, we could always use the extra hand at the infirmary. You could work there if you wanted. Whenever they need you, you could go in."

Kamille hated to admit it, but that sounded pretty amazing. She missed working, appreciating and missing her work at the hotel before they had to leave. This sounded like something to pull her out of her rut and keep her busy.

"Why are you being so nice?" Kamille asked, genuinely confused to Jake's intentions. She knew he was a nice guy, that much was clear, but why was he so bothered about Kamille?

Jake gave her a small smile. "I know it's hard being here. But you and your family are here under my invite. I just want you all to be comfortable."

Kamille saw the truth shining in his eyes.

"Meet me by the infirmary before breakfast tomorrow," he said before nodding. "I'll leave you to it."

Kamille didn't really get chance to respond as he walked away, but she knew she would take him up on his offer, unable to resist.

Continuing her way to the infirmary, Kamille saw how empty it looked from outside. When she entered, her suspicions were correct. Apart from Luciana, there was only one other person in there, who was fast asleep in his bed on the other side of the room.

Kamille headed over to Luciana, seeing her lying still with her shoulder bandaged up and one of her wrists handcuffed to the bed. Kamille was surprised at how they were treating her, as if she would do them harm.

"Luciana?"

The Mexican woman tilted her head and looked at Kamille with tired eyes.

"I never introduced myself," Kamille spoke, offering a small, half-smile. "I'm Kamille Ali. A friend of Nick's."

Luciana swallowed before saying, "You were with us at the compound. You helped us escape."

"Yeah..." Kamille took a seat on the stool by her bed before continuing. "How is your injury?"

Luciana sighed. "Taking its time to heal."