4 Come Home

The clean auto smell registers in my nose from the rental as my eyes peered out the window. Palm trees are everywhere, on the sidewalks, in peoples front yards. This is wild, I thought with the sunlight streaming in through the window. I am definitely not in Jersey anymore Toto.

I was already starting to sweat, despite the A.C. because the humidity was killer. I drummed my hands against my thighs, but it didn't help relieve the anxious feeling in my chest.

I was happy for Dad to get this job, and getting away from Olivia and Trent was a bonus, no doubt. But I couldn't help the nervous energy that was generated from being in a completely new place.

"Aurora?" my mother's voice caught my attention. My gaze flitted from the window to the back of her headrest.

"Huh?" I questioned.

"You missed it. Your Dad was talking about the new house. It sounds like there is only a couple of actual bedrooms, but the basements renovated. Would you prefer to take the basement?"

A wry smile graced my lips, "I'm sure this wouldn't have anything to do with the possible noise cancellation the basement would provide, right?"

Dad lets out a chuckle, "You can't fool this one honey. We raised her up too smart."

"I suppose you're right," Mom said, chuckling as well, "Still, what do you think Aurora?"

My eyes wandered to the window and caught a glimpse of the ocean over the bridge's guard rails, "I'll have to see it," I shrug, "but sure, why not?"

Within thirty minutes, we turn through a few suburban streets before pulling into a driveway.

"This is it, we are here guys," Dad said, getting out of the rental and popping the trunk open.

I get out and grab my bag, eyeing the front of the house. They went with the ranch style house, with everything appearing to be on one level. Home sweet home, I suppose.

Still feeling uncertain, I followed my parents up the paved asphalt and to the front door. My mom dug around in her purse before coming up with a small envelope that held the key. As hot as it was in the car, it was even worse outside. Beads of sweat were already collecting at my hairline when they managed to open the door, letting it swing open.

The walls were bright, there was wood flooring and from the front door where I stood, I could see through the house to the giant kitchen. My mom let out a gasp, shuffling through the house to get to the big island that had a farm sink.

"I'm in love!" she proclaimed, running her hand over the chrome spiral sprayer at the sink. She looked like a kid on christmas, she was so overjoyed.

The movers had already placed our furniture inside the house, albeit somewhat half-hazardly. Mom's desk was in the living room, and it appeared that most of our boxes were in there too.

I cautiously made my way in deeper into the house, pausing when I came to a door that held the stairway. I followed the stairs down, until I came into a huge expanse of a room.

There's no way that this is the basement room they were talking about, right? It was so large that I could have a seating area! Big glass doors at the end let in so much light, it didn't even feel like a basement. My bedframe and mattress were already set up against one wall, causing me to raise an eyebrow.

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs behind me, then felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned and saw my dad.

"That sure I would want the basement, were we?" I ask him, gesturing to my bed placement.