Chapter 3

I continued to walk along the sidewalk, keeping my head down as I maneuvered my way in and out of the groups of people. I stared down at my black Converse as they slapped against the pavement, deciding to pick up my pace even more.

Knowing my family, I assumed that they would have already organized a search party, so I know it was just a matter of time before one of the groups found me. And I couldn't let that happen.

Mere moments later, I found myself faced with the bridge over the River Seine. With a small smile on my face, I stepped onto the stone, time seeming to stand completely still as I released my grip on the withered rose in my hand and let it fall to the ground.

You see, I had told my family in the note that the place where they found a withered rose would be where I died, because that was what I felt like inside. A withered rose.

Since it was getting later, there wasn't a single person around, with the exception of myself. I was completely alone, and I liked that feeling.

Slowly and with my eyes closed, I took a few steps forward, letting the gentle breeze blow through my brown locks and caress my cheeks for the last time.

Just as I turned, about to approach the ledge and jump, I heard a familiar voice call out, "Lotte!" I glanced over to where the bridge met the land as I saw Auggie standing there with my three siblings. "Lotte!" He called out again, desperation in his voice.

"You can't change my mind, Auggie," I replied, taking a few steps back as they came closer. "I have no place here."

"Yes, you do. Charlotte, just listen to me, okay?" Auggie said softly as he looked me directly in the eyes. "You are beautiful and smart, and you do have a place in this world. We all love you and we care for you deeply, Lotte, so please just get off this bridge and come back to your home with us."

I could feel tears pricking my eyes as the words came out of his mouth, but I still managed to convince myself that they weren't true. "August, please. I have to do this."

"No, you don't," Logan spoke up, his voice breaking from emotion. "Lotte, you are my best friend in this world. I don't want to lose you. I can't lose you, Charlotte. Please."

Tears flowing freely down my cheeks by now, I glanced over to my little brother, Luke, and found him clinging to Lizzy, sobbing into her shirt. "Lotte, don't go," he cried.

My heart broke in my chest as I looked around, realizing there wasn't a dry eye among the five of us.

Still, my urge to end my pain and suffering was too strong for their earnest words and I approached the ledge, gripping onto it tightly with both hands.

Auggie took another few steps toward me. "Lotte, no-"

"I'm sorry," I replied simply before stepping up and pushing off the ledge with one foot, sending my body plummeting into the river below. The last thing I heard was my little brother's scream before I completely submerged into the cool water.

Slowly, the water began to fill my lungs as I felt the icy cold gripping at my fingertips. And I wanted it to come and overtake my being. I wanted it more than anything.

Just as I closed my eyes and felt myself begin to slip away, something grabbed me around the waist, pulling me to the surface. I tried to kick and remove myself from its grasp, but my body was already losing strength.

I was pulled to the surface of the water and immediately began to cough violently as someone swam me to the shore. I felt two more people help to pull me onto dry land as I opened my eyes, barely having enough strength to do even that.

I don't remember much after that, aside from Auggie and my siblings hugging me, because I passed out soon after.

I woke up a while later in a hospital bed, my family and friends standing around me - each of the people who were to receive a rose. I glanced at all of their worried expressions before my eyes settled on my friend Auggie, who was sitting in a chair beside my hospital bed, a towel wrapped around his wet shoulders.

He was the one who had saved me.