I. NEW DISCOVERIES

[perseus]

[perseus]

—AS THE WEEK PASSED, PERCY DISCOVERED HE WASNT GOOD AT ANY OF THE OUTFOOR ACTIVITIES—except for canoeing (and apparently that wasn't good enough for the kid who killed the Minotaur). Thursday afternoon, however, he found he had potential in sword-fighting after he managed to disarm Luke.

Friday night finally rolled around, and every demigod at Camp Half-Blood couldn't sit still (it was probably the ADHD). When the plates were cleared away, the conch horn sounded and everyone stood at their tables.

Percy noticed Selene standing alone at the Artemis table. She normally sat with Mr. D, Mr. D's kids, and Chiron, Percy just figured she'd wanted time to herself. He hadn't really seen her that week, the only times being breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He really wanted to talk to her, about his dreams. He knew she had them too, he had heard her say so to Chiron when he was in the brink of unconsciousness right after fighting the Minotaur.

He needed to talk to her, but if she told Chiron about the dreams, should he? He figured the centaur would be able to tell Percy what the dreams meant. Looking back to the dirty-blonde girl, Percy noticed her already looking at him, her blue eyes locking with Percy's green ones for what could have been the ten-thousandth time, both pairs holding questions that have yet been asked. She smiled at Percy, turning to watch the entrance to the pavilion.

Campers around the raven-haired boy yelled and cheered as Annabeth and two of her siblings ran into the pavilion carrying a silk banner. It was ten feet long, a glistening gray color, with a painting of a barn owl above an olive tree. At the opposite side of the pavilion, Clarisse and her buddies ran in with a banner equal inside but gaudy red, painted with a bloody spear and a boar's head.

Percy turned to Luke and yelled over the noise, "Those are the flags?"

"Yeah."

"Ares and Athena always lead the teams?"

"Not always," he said. "But often."

"So, if another cabin captures one, what do you do—repaint the flag?"

He grinned. "You'll see. First we have to get one."

"Whose side are we on?"

Luke shot Percy a sly smile, giving Percy a hunch that Luke knew something the green-eye boy didn't. The scar on his face made him look almost evil in the torchlight.

"We've made a temporary alliance with Athena. Tonight, we get the flag from Ares. And you are going to help."

The teams were announced. Athena made an alliance with Apollo and Hermes, the two biggest cabins, and Artemis (since there was only one of them). Ares has allied themselves with everybody else: Dionysus, Demeter, Aphrodite, and Hephaestus.