Chapter 18 | A Fool

Start from the beginning

"It's still a work in progress, but in time I think it will be revolutionary."

"How long until you can have it ready regularly?"

"Right away, I suppose." Pryce takes a seat. "But it's like wine. The longer you wait the better."

"I can't imagine this getting better, Pryce."

"It will. The flavor will always have that... lightness to it. That oily texture won't go away. It's a compromise. I can, however, promise that in time the larger particles will go away."

"Can't we just- I don't know, strain it."

"Roman," Pryce smiles condescendingly. "That's where the majority of the substance is. If we get rid of it what will be left is mostly water." Roman doesn't respond. "After a few more trials I think I can get the quality of the liquid up. What you have for now is, essentially, a parthenogenesis embryo and amniotic sac smoothie."

"That's unappetizing," Roman shudders.

"So is ripping a human's throat out, but you have to pick your poison." Pryce smiles. "I'll try to come up with a more appealing name, how about that?"

"I'd rather not be reminded of what I'm having."

.....

Another three days pass of lounging around in pajamas. The TV stays warm the pages of the books Dr. Lowenstein lent her a flipped. She's completely off of prescription pain killers, but her head only feels worse with every passing day. It's like a migraine that keeps growing stronger. It's late into the afternoon when a knock at the door disturbs her.

"Hey!" Peter smiles at her once the doors open.

"Hi," Emma replies, stunned. Peter still being here never crossed her mind. She had assumed he came, asked for money, and left. "I didn't know you were here."

"Yeah, I've been staying with Destiny," Peter says. "I work at the auto-shop. It's just until everything with Lynda is settled."

"How is- um- how is she? What's going on?"

"Still in jail." Peter grimaces. "Hopefully not for much longer. We're working on it."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay. She's okay."

"She's a tough lady."

"She just keeps saying that she get's 'three hots and a cot,' and not to worry," Peter laughs. "Jails not the worse place she's lived."

"How's Destiny?"

"She's good. She's planning her wedding. You should go see her sometime."

"Why?"

"I don't know. She just said so."

"Interesting..." Emma mumbles then is silent.

"You wanna go get lunch or something?" He asks awkwardly.

"Yeah, sure."

.....

The car ride is silent and so is waiting for the food. Emma doesn't know what to say. There's not really any new news, and bringing up the past seems like a bad idea. She doesn't even want to talk about that. The diner is busy, so the silence isn't too terrible.

The waitress drops their food off without a word and keeps moving. Peter quickly begins to dig into his food, only stopping when he sees Emma struggling to cut her waffle.

Peter grabs the plate from below her hands and begins to cut the waffle apart for her. "Thanks," she says quietly. He hums in response. After he slides the plate back to her, he digs back into his burger.