"The latch—" Eliza tried, but Marshall slapped her again across the other cheek.

He leaned in so close that she could feel his breath wash over her face. "You found a way to undo it, I bet."

She looked up at him and pleaded, "I didn't! I didn't, I promise."

Marshall's head tilted as a smile slowly crept onto his face. He spoke low and slow: "Are you calling me a liar?"

Eliza's eyes widened and she shook her head so hard every part of her rattled.

"You've got some nerve, calling me a liar," Marshall continued. "After taking care of you—" he brushed a hand gently against her cheek and tucked some loose hair behind her ear, "—getting you a pet for when you're lonely, and standing loyally beside you for three years, you disrespect me and call me a liar?" His hand fell from her face and rested on the base of her neck. He squeezed the sides of his thumb and index finger between the bones on the front of her throat. "You lie to me, take my dog and flirt with who knows what, and have the gall to return and call me the liar?"

Eliza raised her shaking hands and tried to wedge her fingers between his. She knew not to fight back too hard because that was what he enjoyed and the beating would only get worse. She opened her mouth to reply, found that she could make no sound, and instead focused on getting air in.

Marshall grinned and leaned in far enough that his weight was put on her neck. Eliza could barely hear anything beyond the rushing in her ears, but heard him whisper, "You must be crazy." There was an incredible pressure in her head and she thought she was going to pass out.

She must have, because she was suddenly on the floor and Marshall was on top of her, leaning over her with a worried expression. He tapped her cheek with the pads of his fingers and called her name. River was there too, whimpering as she paced back and forth around them, clipped claws clicking against the tile.

"Elly, Elly, are you okay?" His pupils were blown wide as he looked back and forth between her eyes. "You suddenly passed out, does anything hurt?"

Eliza blinked hard a few times to rid her vision of the dark spots and grumbled that she was okay. Marshall helped her to sit and cradled her in his arms when she brought her hand to her tender neck. When she tried to speak it came out horse and unintelligible.

River walked back and forth in front of them, clearly upset and wanting to help out in some way. Eliza reached out and did the snatching-nose trick Marshall had showed her the first day they had gotten her. It brightened River's demeanor and she yipped.

Marshall pat River's head and undid the leash. He shooed her away and shook Eliza gently to get her attention. "How about you walk her tomorrow, hm? When you're feeling better."

Eliza shook her head and grabbed onto the front pocket of his shirt. He just smiled at her. "It's okay, I won't be mad." When she shook her head again he grabbed her hand and kissed her fingers. "You have my permission this time. Just don't do it again."

Do what?

"Lying to me, accusing me of lying, you know what I'm talking about. Don't give me that look." He kissed her fingers again and helped her to stand. "How about soup for dinner?"

Eliza was hesitant but nodded. Her throat was incredibly sore and she was scared. He helped her to stand and let her use his arm on the way to the seat by the window. "Now, I know what you're thinking," he said, "and yes, I will make the soup myself. I think I'm getting better in the kitchen, don't you?"

Eliza nodded and sat down. Marshall brought over a blanket and tucked it in around her shoulders once she brought her knees up to her chest. Something dawned on her and she got him to lean in close. "If you were worried, why didn't you call me?"

"Hun, why would I be worried?"

She looked him in the eyes and only saw honest curiosity. "You said you didn't know what I was doing."

"Elly, dear, I think you hit your head when you passed out. I don't know what you're talking about."

"But you asked where I was?"

"You were out walking Riverside, Elly. Maybe that was too much for you?"

She shook her head quickly. As much as the dog park terrified her, a part of her screamed that she couldn't give up this freedom. She took Marshall's hand in hers and kissed the back of it. "No, no, I think I didn't eat enough at breakfast." Maybe she did hit her head; maybe it mixed up her memories.

He seemed to think it over before he nodded and kissed her forehead. "In any case, I'm glad I came home early."

"Me too."