The Singing Contest

It was a cool night in Pyrrhia.  The weekend was approaching (do dragons even HAVE weekends and weekdays?), so the Dragonets of Destiny had sent out papers announcing a singing competition that would be held in Jade Mountain Academy. 

"Welcome to the first ever Pyrrhia's Got Talent! A singing contest for everyone!" Tsunami announced.  "Our first contestant is someone you know well, if you go to the Academy.  Here's... Qibli!"

The freckled SandWing walked onstage and waved to the crowd.  "Hello, everyone! This goes out to my... friend, Moonwatcher." He cleared his throat and began to sing.

I won't lie to you, but I know he's just not right for you.  And you can tell me if I'm off, but I see it on your face when you say that he's the one that you want.  And you're spending all your time in this wrong situation, and anytime you want it to stop,

I know I can treat you better, than he can.  And any girl like you deserves a gentleman.  Tell me why are we wasting time on all your wasted cryin' when you should be with me instead! I know I can treat you better, better than he can!

A blue and white dragon suddenly pushed Qibli aside and took the microphone, continuing with the next verse.  (Can anyone guess who it is?)

I'll stop time for you, the second you say you'd like me to.  I just wanna give you the loving that you're missing, baby just to wake up with you, would be everything I need and this could be so different, tell me what you want to do.

Cause I know I can treat you better, than he can. And any girl like you deserves a gentleman.  Tell me why are we wasting time on all your wasted cryin' when you should be with me instead.  I know I can treat you better, better than he can!

Qibli looked offended by Winter's (you guessed it!) sudden interruption, but the crowd didn't know the IceWing wasn't supposed to join in.  Thinking it was a double act, they began to cheer for both of them. 

"Well... that didn't quite go as I planned, thanks to YOU... but hey, they enjoyed it," Qibli said to Winter.  "The only reason they're applauding you is because of me," Winter replied.  Qibli shrugged.  "Suuuuuure."

Tsunami took the stage once more as Qibli and Winter exited.  Reading off a list of names, she said, "Next up, we have another Jade Mountain student.  Please welcome... Moonwatcher!" The NightWing dragonet walked on, looking rather shy.  She took the microphone from Tsunami and began to sing.

I'm sorry if I seem uninterested, or I'm not listening, or I'm indifferent.  Truly, I ain't got no business here, but since my friends are here, I just came to kick it.  But really, I would rather be at home all by myself, not in this room with dragons who don't even, care about my well-being.  I don't dance, don't ask, I don't need a boyfriend.  So you can, go back, please enjoy your party, I'll be here, ooh, somewhere in the corner under clouds of marijuana with this boy who's hollering, I can hardly hear, over this music I don't listen to and I don't want to get with you, so tell my friends that I'll be over here.  Oh, here, oh, here.  Oh, I ask myself, "What am I doing here?" Oh, here, oh, here.  And I can't wait till we can break up outta here.

Excuse me if I seem a little unimpressed with this, an antisocial pessimist, but usually I don't mess with this, and I know you mean only the best, and your intentions aren't to bother me, but honestly I'd rather be, somewhere with my people, we can kick it and just listen to the music with the message like we usually do, and we'll discuss our big dreams, how we plan to take over the planet, so pardon my manners, I hope you'll understand that I'll be here, oh, here, oh, here, oh, I ask myself what am I doing here? Oh, here, oh, here, and I can't wait till be can break up outta here.

(Sorry for cutting some of it out... I bet the lyrics of this song are what she was feeling on her first day at JMA, agreed? Of course, she's not at a party but still.)

The crowd of dragons applauded Moonwatcher, and she blushed, not completely used to a lot of praise.  "Good job, Moon," Tsunami said, returning.  "Next we have... oh moons.  Deathbringer?" "Yep!" Deathbringer strolled onstage, whistling a tune.  "Prepare to be amazed by my wonderful singing!"

All my life, been hustling, and tonight is my appraisal.  Cause I'm a hooker selling songs and my pimp's a record label.  This world is full of demons, stocks and bonds, and Bible traders.  So I do the deed, get up and leave, a climber and a sadist, yeah.  Are you ready for the sequel? Ain't you ready for the latest? In the garden of evil, I'm gonna be the greatest.  In a golden cathedral, I'll be praying for the faithless, and if you lose, boo hoo.  Hey look ma, I made it! Hey look ma, I made it! Everything's coming up aces, aces.  If it's a dream, don't wake me, don't wake me.  I said hey look ma, I made it!

Friends are happy for me, or they're honeysuckle phonies.  They celebrate my medals, or they wanna take my trophies.  Some are loyal soldiers, while these other thorns are rosy.  And if you never know who you can trust, then trust me, you'll be lonely, oh.  Are you ready for the sequel? Ain't you ready for the latest? In the garden of evil, I'm gonna be the greatest.  In a golden cathedral, I'll be praying for the faithless, and if you lose, boo hoo.  Hey look ma, I made it! Hey look ma, I made it! Everything's coming up aces, aces.  If it's a dream, don't wake me, don't wake me! I said, hey look ma, I made it, I made it! I said, hey look ma, I made it, I made it! I see it, I want it, I take it, take it.  If it's a dream, don't wake me, don't wake me.  I said hey look ma, I made it!

(I love this song, by the way.  Panic! At the Disco is great!)

"Wow.  That was... surprisingly good," Glory muttered to the other Dragonets of Destiny backstage.  "You think so?" Deathbringer asked.  His keen ears had heard Glory's whisper.  "In your dreams," Glory replied sarcastically, and Deathbringer just smirked.

And THAT concludes the Singing Contest! It's not much of a contest, more of a talent show, but hey, does "The Talent Show" sound as good as "The Singing Contest"? All anyone did was sing, after all.

Word count: 1152