you shall never die . . .

ابدأ من البداية

"Those words were almost like they came from the heart, almost like you have fallen for her."

Niklaus rose a brow as his smile never fell from his lips, "Well, perhaps I have."

Also watching her screaming daughter with a soft gaze from the trees, the weight of branches in Esther's arms were ignored. Her heart seemed to turn to sap at the sight of her joy The snap of a twig took her out of focus.  

"Esther."

The woman in green turned to her husband, who also held branches in his arms. Mikael's dark blue-green eyes landed on Ivonna-Rosalie's running figure, which forced a sigh his lungs whilst he wrapped the sticks with fabric. Every time he looked at her, his mind thought back to his first daughter he lost. There was a never a moment he forgot about his girl. If this new one was a means to replace his first daughter, he continue to never acknowledge her. 

The family of seven soon returned home where the parents enforced the importance of not leaving their four walls until the next morning, again reminded of the consequences.

"The people around here transform into wolves." Rebekah softly muttered to Ivonna-Rosalie whom she lay next to. Their eyes stared at the sky through the window in wait of the next day. Quiet as they rested, the youngest seemed to have another thought and was losing to keep it in. 

"Is there something on your tongue?" The oldest raised a brow, knowing the signs of something happening 

 "Are of fond of Niklaus?" The sudden question couldn't be held back any longer. 

Caught off-guard, Ivonna-Rosalie shook her head as a shy smile, "O no! Of course not, why would you think that Rebekah? I am repulsed at even the thought of you asking that question."

Rebekah wasn't convinced by the answer, but only spurred deeper into more thoughts at the way the response came across. The young woman in blue slowly nodded her as she spoke again. "Are you certain? The tone of speech is making me more and more—" Before the Rebekah could finish her statement, the door to their room was opened and their mother  popped in.

"Ah, there you are Ivonna. May I borrow your necklace?" 

Unconsciously moving her hands to cup the sterling necklace around her neck, the eldest daughter placed it in her mother's hand, who smiled in return.  

The necklace, if Ivonna-Rosalie could think properly, was gifted just after she turned 17. She and Niklaus often bonded over their matching items. Not once had she questioned the necklace, although it felt restricting, she held it dear to her heart. It was warned daily after she received it to never take off the to appease Esther's wishes, so Niklaus and Ivonna-Rosalie spent many days talking about the sterling necklace without taking them off. 

Esther cleared her throat before turning back in the room. Her eyes narrowed for a moment. "Also, my darling child, could you go over the river for more dry wood? My arms were unable to reach for more."

Ivonna-Rosalie eagerly nodded before their mother left without another word. If it meant roaming through the woods at an hour she was never allowed to before, she would take it without hesitance. 

"Where was I before mother interrupted?" Her rolled her eyes as Rebekah continued on from their previous conversation, "Oh, yes. You being of Niklaus—"

But as if the gods were on neither of the girls' side, the door opened again, revealing the said man himself. Rebekah's mouth was smacked closed before any other words could be said. The mentioned man was more confused at the sudden movements, "Someone said my name?"

"No, no, no. We were just bantering about the family and Rebekah had called for you." A nervous laugh left Ivonna-Rosalie's lips as she watched Henrik follow behind. The more she laughed, the less she believed herself, so the laugh dwindled into a weak chuckle until she cleared her throat just when Niklaus spoke, fortunately for her missing the nerves in her laugh.