Chapter 1.4: Magic of The Blood Moon (Rough Draft)

Kade blinks awake, frowning a bit as he sits up in his bunk. It felt as though someone had just poked him in the chest very acutely, right in the heart. A gentle nagging voice in the back of his head, whispering too quietly to hear, but enough to know they're there. Sliding his feet over the edge, he drops down silently, glancing around at the other sleeping Initiate Riders. None moved, save for Gae'rin; The blonde-haired male rolling over to face Kade, yet snored loudly as he does and shifts, rolling back over with a snort. Letting out a breath of relief, he glances around one more time, before he slowly creeps for the door, eyes narrowed as he sneaks out of the sleeping quarters.

Closing the door silently behind him, he glances up and down the hallway, the torches seeming to be dimmer than normal, a strange haze in the air. It was so odd, it drifted around him, yet nowhere else. Shaking it from his thoughts, for now, he sneaks forward, his bare feet making faint noise as he hurries along. The cold stone nipping at his feet a bit, he regrets the thought that he hadn't stopped to get his footwear before he left the room.

The cool night air felt charged, in a way, the moonlight seeming tainted.

Changed.

Transformed.

It made Kade's heart race, his breath quicken as blood rushed through him. It made him feel so strangely alive, and it felt as though this strange presence, this strange magic in the air, woke something dormant. It seemed to be that voice in the back of his mind, whispering all the louder now, clearer. A singularity, a definite and simple message to him. A plea, a desire. He takes a breath, before looking up a bit to the moon through the stained glass, and he blinks a bit. If he wasn't mistaken... The moon was the wrong color. It seared a deep scarlet, the color creeping slowly across the pale, white surface like a fog across a lake, obscuring it and veiling it.

Stopping a moment, he peers out the glass in wonder at the enigma, before he hears voices approaching him. Eyes wide, he looks around, before ducking behind a brazier nearby as Jaclyn walks past with an unfamiliar male, his dark blue eyes angular and he could swear his ears were rather pointed. They were talking in hushed voices, but he still caught on some of their conversation as they pass.

"... I truly believe this occurrence is a sign, Master. I believe that the Blood Moon is a signal. Something is happening, I can feel it in the air. Something is bound to happen tonight, something big."

"I felt this too, it puzzles me greatly. This kind of event... I asked the Eldernari, they haven't memory of it, lest it be near the midst of the original Dragon Riders of the Order." The other, mysterious male remarks, before looking to Jaclyn. "This must be recorded, by all who can do so... I would wager that we get the new boy and his fellow Initiates woken, this would be something amazing for them to witness..."

"It will be done, Master Eragon... I only ask one more thing, as I know you're taxing yourself for this... But what of the boy, Kaderien?... Do you believe that he will find a Dragon? We have searched... But none respond to him, some even cower in fear of him... As if something about him worries them." Kade leans in a bit, peering at the two as they move away.

"Kade is... a strange case. I would require that you send him to me immediately. I would like to meet him in person, so that I may have the Eldunari examine him as well... " Eragon remarks, before pausing and looking back over his shoulder. "Wait..."

"What is it, Master?" Jaclyn asks, looking to Eragon as the male gazes around the hallway. And, finally... Looking right into Kade's eyes, freezing him in place.

"... Someone is awake... They're close, but something... is... I can tell they are near you, but they are veiled from my sense, and my sight. Do you see anyone?" Kade hears and his eyes widen. He was hidden from sight? The boy looks to Jaclyn, who looks around, his eyes gazing right where Kade was, and then carrying on down the hallway.