「chapter 5 」

“the boy i like doesn't have the same feelings for me” jaemin complained to the tall thing right in front of him as he waited for donghyuck to come walk with him to school. he ended his sentence with a chuckle as he hugged the thing that was in front of him.

“lucas, maybe i should just date you” again, the pink haired male got no response, he sighed, letting his grip lose as he hung his head low. “ive lost my fucking mind” he grumbled.

“what am i doing?” he asked himself under his breath. “im literally talking to a tree” he shook his head slowly, closing his eyes as he answered his own question.

“oh hey jaemin!” jaemin turned at the sound of a voice saying his name, he turned, expecting to see donghyuck but seeing his other friend chenle instead.

“oh i didn't know you'd be coming” jaemin said, his mouth in the shape of an 'o'.

“that sounds mean” chenle said with a small pout. before jaemin could respond, saying he didn't want to hurt his feelings, chenle was quick to say something else.

“donghyuck is sick, so super chenle is here to save the day!”chenle put his right hand on his hip, giggling as he raised his left fist in the air. jaemin simply smiled, grabbing chenle by the arm, about to drag him to school but chenle stopped him.

“but wait, why were you talking to this tree, and why did you name it lucas?” chenle questioned, tilting his head to the side. jaemin shrugged.

“i was having a mental breakdown?” his response came out more like a question than an answer. “plus, it has 'lucas x some chinese name i can't read' carved into the bark”

chenle glanced at the tree, squinting his eyes at the writing, getting a little closer to it before gasping. when jaemin asked what was wrong, chenle simply just started dragging jaemin towards their school. “it was uh... just a bug”

“but i didn't see a—”

“sh, no questions” chenle shushed the older.

“i didn't ask a question” jaemin said, glancing at the chinese, raising an eyebrow “just don't talk” was all chenle said before continuing to skip off to school with his friend with bright pink hair.

☁️

as jaemin walked out of his history class, he thought about what had happened in the morning. what did chenle see on the tree? a cuss word? a bug? one of their friends names carved in it?

“it must have been bad if he reacted like that” the boy whispered to himself, almost bumping into his locker as he got to it, turning the little knob to unlock it.

he spaced out as he grabbed books and put some away. he basically had the whole world blocked out, hearing only faint sounds of students talking, but he came back to reality when he heard his name get called.

“hey jaemin.” he didn't need to turn to know who it was that was trying to get his attention.

“please don't slam your locker closed on my hand this time” jeno jokingly said, chuckling but turning it into a sigh as he rubbed the back of his neck, seeing the lack of reaction he got from jaemin.

“please don't ignore me” jeno didn't know what he had done to the younger boy to make him ignore him and hate him this much. all he knew was that he would do anything to make jaemin talk to him again.