♱ Chapter 47 ♱

𝓐𝓭𝓮𝓵𝓪𝓲𝓭𝓮
𝟺𝟽: 𝙰 𝙽𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚁𝚎𝚖𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛

"Make Porter regret breaking up with you," had been Cory's instruction.

Heeding to his words, I donned my magenta dress. Two thin straps looped around my neck and connected to the front of my dress that covered my chest except for a small triangle just enough for the valley between my breasts. A narrow strip circled my chest under my breasts and underneath was completely exposed, baring even the delicate curve of my waist. The only material there were two straps positioned in a stretched, horizontal X, linking the bust part of my dress to the loose skirt that fell to the floor, draping around my legs.

Even my nails were painted a colour akin to my dress as I'd been desiring as much distraction as I could seize in the hours before the gala. My makeup was simple except for more eyeliner than usual to emphasise my blue-green eyes. By the time I ended up with the final preparation (my hair) I lacked any enthusiasm, having exceeded my distraction quota. I'd opted for a middle parting, clipping back my hair over my shoulders except for two thick locks that bordered my face.

And that was me—not at all ready for having to witness Porter and Verity be so affectionate at the gala.

In truth, the Grovesville Gala was an annual excuse for a bunch of socialites to congregate in an elaborately plush hotel and exchange scandalous gossip that has rocked their communities. Businesses capitalised on it, however, exploiting the surge of money that gets pumped through them if it's the hotel hosting it or the catering staff or even the stores in town to purchase the suits and dresses.

The gala was originally posed as an excuse to network with other employees and instigate business deals and future opportunities. Further down the line when the segregation of uptown Grovesville and The Woods was more pronounced, the business deals dwindled and gossip bloomed. Only the dedicated attend the gala for anything pertinent to business anymore.

As I slipped on my heels and grabbed my clutch, I carefully ambled downstairs to find Cory and my dad waiting for me. Dad smiled proudly and even Cory managed a suitable nod, so I could only presume I had executed his command adequately. A beat later, Mom stepped out from the kitchen and approached my dad, staggering me and rendering me utterly wordless.

Had they reconciled?

Cory was managing to pull off a white suit jacket with a crisp black shirt to match his black trousers. He stuffed his hands into his pocket and slipped in a mask of emotionlessness at the sight of Mom and Dad, especially when she placed her hand gingerly on his offered arm.

My stomach dropped.

This was all a façade.

Mom and Dad didn't match with their outfits, though I don't think they did any year, and I was clueless as to whose influence that was due to. Dad was dressed in his go-to light grey suit and baby blue shirt, while Mom on the other hand donned a floor-length navy dress with a subtle plunging neckline. Other than that, it was a simple dress, but beautiful nonetheless with straps that hung loosely around her toned biceps.

Dad's smile became strained at the contact and Mom didn't even say a word to me. I believed she blamed me and Porter, though he was now out of the picture, for the delicate situation their marriage was in. I had no part to play in the announcement; I had been just as clueless as Dad was, but because I had been dating Porter at the time, I was partly to fault. That was unfair. That broke my heart.

Mom regarded me emotionlessly. "You know what you need to do tonight," was all she said before strutting outside and to the car.

Dad trailed behind her, shooting me an almost apologetic smile.