I’m about to nudge Remus in the side to ask if I’m dreaming, when Professor Slughorn suddenly snaps, “Mr. Black! As knowledgeable as you and Miss Evans are, please pay attention in class!”

Lily and Sirius exchange looks before Sirius gives her an insouciant shrug.

“Er, we’re feeling under the weather, Professor. Can we go to the Hospital Wing?” says Sirius, unabashed.

The professor blinks. “Oh, very well then,” he acquiesces with a sigh. “I expect you two to come back on Thursday with a note from Madam Pomfrey! And don’t forget to revise the material you’ve missed!” he calls to their retreating backs as they grab their bags and bolt out the door.

I just stare at them aghast.

What utter bull! I mean, I can expect blatant skiving off from Sirius or James, but Lily? She’s Slughorn’s favorite student! What could they possibly be doing together?

“Er, Cecilia?” I hear Remus ask tentatively behind me. “I know what it must look like, but don’t do anything stupi—”

Before he can finish his sentence, I snatch up my own bag and sprint out the room. “I’m sick too, Professor! See you Thursday!” I yell over my shouder.

“M-Miss Vance, you as well?” sputters the professor.

“Um, me too. Sorry Professor!”

“Mr. Lupin! What is this, the plague?”

I look behind me to see Remus coming out after me. “What are you doing? Go back to class, prefect!” I hiss at him.

“You’re telling me?” Remus jogs to catch up and then grabs my arm. “Are you going to follow them? I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Yeah, yeah, don’t stalk people, I know,” I reply absently as I slink down the hallway.

“Well, yes, but still—”

His words are interrupted by the sound of hushed voices acround the corner. I quickly slap a hand over his mouth and tug his arm to inch closer to the neighboring hallway.

“Sirius, are you sure we should be skiving off?”

“Well, it’s easier if Cecilia isn’t around right to see us right? C’mon, let’s go. The period’s almost over.”

“That’s true… speaking of which, are we still meeting up in Hogsmeade tomorrow night?”

 “Yeah, of course. Who knows when we’ll get a chance to be alone together again?”

“But what about James…?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll talk to him.”

My eyes widen. What is this? Are they seeing each other behind James’ back? No, that’s too fantastical. They would never do that. But… what kind of double meaning would this kind of conversation have? No matter how much I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, it just sounds to me like… no, no way.

Suddenly, I’m feeling sick to my stomach.

“Remus…” I mumble under my breath. “Remus, I think we should go. I don’t want to see this anymore.”

I start to stand up from my crouched position, but the moment I move my foot back, my heel connects with Remus’ shin and he lets out a muted yelp.

Ow, geez, Cecilia!”

“Sorry, sorry, I—ack!”

I take a step back instead and stumble over my own feet to land not-so-gracefully on my rear in the hallway. Before I can frantically scramble back behind the wall, I hear a surprised voice exclaim, “What in the worl—Remus? Cecilia!”