Chapter Twenty Five ♥ "His grave silence"

Start from the beginning

But I was alone. Father was not here and Zayed could do whatever he wanted to do to me.

Some part of me was grateful that Zayed left me here alone, because I needed to be isolated, hide in this room, away from him and his dark eyes. Every time I see him now, I sense something breaking inside of me, so easily, so quickly as if I was made of glass.

All of a sudden, I heard the shattering of glass and turned to the source of the sound. Apparently, I just broke a glass which was placed on a table, alongside the sofa I sat on. Last night, I hadn’t touched my food but poured some water in that glass and drank it. Now, in process of resting my arm on the armrest, I didn’t realize how my hand hit this fragile glass and it crashed into uncountable pieces just like me.

I paid no heed to it and placed my heavy head on the same armrest, sleeping away.

~*♥*

Zayed

7:18 AM

Reasons, she said she wanted reasons. Zayed would give her all the reasons in the world but he knew her weak mind couldn’t take them in at the moment. He had reasons for everything, for his actions, his choices, behavior all of them. Unfair reasons…but reasons.

She needed to wait because his merciful heart will give her one shock at a time, killing her softly, step by step!

When she asked about the other woman, who was another tale that needed to be told, another arrow, another thorn, Zayed was amazed how she guessed right about his feelings towards Jenaan. He had never uttered a word about her. Nobody aside from Badr knew anything about her.

And now, when she demanded for answers, for reasons; silence was all that he could give her in reply.

Zayed sat in the same café he came to yesterday. His own burdens and strains were what accompanied him again. He’d gotten used to them, the dark shadow of stress that wandered around his head, had become like an unwanted friend.

He mulled over her rather odd behavior, sipping through his Turkish coffee as he did. This morning as he got out of his room, after praying his Fajr prayer, his eyes fell upon a broken phone which he hadn’t seen last night. He guessed it belonged to her and knew that she had tried calling home, which also meant that Mahra had found out that the lines in their room were dead because of him. It was his doing.

Perhaps she may not be that sharp!

Once he got to the living room, he was surprised to see her sit there in the darkness, absolutely scatterbrained. For a split second he was afraid that she might have done something to hurt herself. Curious and worried, he walked towards her and relaxed only when he saw her eyes open.

He exhaled in relief and stood there looking at her state. She seemed to be in a total different world, lost deeply in her thoughts, ignorant of his presence. The food that he had ordered last night remained untouched. She also wouldn’t sleep, spending her night here in the cold, without any blanket or anything of that sort. He couldn’t understand why she was doing this to herself!

Was she trying to punish herself for his wrongdoing?

Nonetheless, he sat beside her to see what else – aside from the obvious – was wrong. She had assumed a stance which indicated that she was calm. It was only when his eyes fell on her puffy ones, which he’d been ignoring for a while, did he realize how troubled she was inside.