Chapter Twenty Five ♥ "His grave silence"

Start from the beginning

“Is there someone else?” I put forward another of my questions, which had been hard to verbalize. What kind of a newly-wed asks her husband whether if he desired another woman over her?

My kind, of course, the unfortunate kind!

Apparently, my last question made him turn to me, his face dead and eyes bitter. We stared at each other for a good while, I studied his eyes intently but he revealed no secrets. He peered at me with no emotion displayed, whatsoever.

Finally, he gave up and rested back on the chair, sighing. He still ignored my question with his proud silence and implanted a deep crease on his forehead, a sign of his irritation. A cold reaction such as this was all that took to confirm my doubts.

There was an icy breathe that escaped my lips, “Then let me go.” I requested.

His eyes found the floor and he shook his head. “That’s not an option.” He uttered.

“Why not?” I asked, tears gushing in my eyes. He chose to remain silent again.

“Take me back home,” I persisted, with a shaky voice, “We will tell everyone that it didn’t work out.” I seemed to be convincing myself more than I was convincing him.

He shook his head, like he couldn’t believe my absurdity and my upcoming words pushed the limits.

“Undo whatever you have done.” I wished, out loud.

His jaw hardened as he stared out in space; “It’s too late for that.” He replied, voice husky.

Once again his reply maddened me, provoking me to scream at him. “Then, fix this.” I cried. “It’s because of you I am trapped here.”

“It might be hard for you to believe,” He began. “But I hadn’t planned this either.” He retorted, bitterly.

“You fooled everyone by convincing them that this was what you wanted.” I complained, glaring at him. He hadn’t been looking at me, but my blameful last sentence made him turn to me.

His eyes confirmed that he understood the double meaning behind that sentence. He understood that he had convinced me of that too.

“That was unintentional.” He looked down, guilty.

“Tricking Hamad? Was that unintentional too?” A deep frown appeared on his face, he seemed confused. “You forced him to believe that you wanted his sister.”

“I had my reasons.” He stated.

“What reasons?” I demanded.

And silence was all I got in reply.

After a while, I heard him move. He supported his hands on the armrests and got up slowly. “You need rest.” His voice came and that was how he left the suite again at half past five, in the morning.

I was trying to be strong and unbreakable, but as soon as he left, I broke into sobs, feeling sorry for myself again. Every other reason for my pain suddenly disappeared; I ached now because I missed my father. His face kept flashing before my eyes and I wished if he was here with me. I wished if he would come back for a day, or an hour or at least a short minute, so that I could hold his helpful hands or kiss his humble forehead.

Things would’ve been a lot more different now, if he were here. Zayed would’ve treated me in a different way because he’d know that father would’ve had my back, he would be my shield, supporting me anywhere and everywhere.