t w e n t y - o n e

1959, 1st January

Ding dong! Ding dong!

The church bells rang as the priest pronounced the Englishman and Cassiopeia husband and wife.

There was a number of white people horded into the little Greek church of Cassie's town. They were Mr. Taylor's relatives, some from Asia, some from England and USA. A handful of the Barlos family attended the wedding. Mr. Taylor had wanted to do the rituals in a grand church back in England but Cassiopeia insisted on doing it in the town.

Hence, fate was decided, Cassie was to bid goodbye to her native soil and go to her husband's home; woman's fate.

"You look beautiful," Grandma Aster lovingly touched Cassie's cheek.

"Than you," Cassie nodded. The big, white wedding dress was too muddling to control.

"Good luck with this new life."

"Grandma," Cassie whispered. "How do I do this?"

"You're a strong woman, Cassie. You'll know what to do with yourself."

"Love is certainly a stupid word." She exhaled.

The night ran in faster than everyone expected. As Ezra led his bride to their nuptial room, he could feel the numbing coldness of her palm.

"You're a lovely woman, Cass," he said and walked closer to Cassiopeia.

Her heart began thudding inside his skin. Cassie's lips quivered.

"There's something I need to tell you," she murmured.

Ezra circled her waist with his left hand and lifted her chin with his right. He kissed her chin, then her neck, ears and the back.

"Mr. Taylor?" She whimpered.

"Can't it wait, my love?" He said disappointedly.

Cassie felt that she couldn't breathe. Her voice snagged in her trachea. As Ezra continued enrapturing her body with sensual outbursts, Cassie couldn't at all give herself to him.

The dimly lit room soon resonated the Englishman's lascivious desires. Every touch and bite imbibed a new found thirst in him, yet he, so lovingly and delicately travelled every curve of Cassiopeia's physique.

Underneath him, Cassie squirmed with unknown emotions. An emotion of holding on to but letting go at the same time, an emotion that made her climax but didn't let her surrender; an emotion that broke her heart but adhered her broken spine. Ezra touched her secret spots with precision, transporting her to another mystique world but Cassiopeia couldn't feel herself.

The constant rage for men couldn't dissolve.

Water slided down her heated cheeks. To hide her moisture, she turned to the window.

There was no trace of the moon that night.