e i g h t e e n

1958, 15th August

The Papadakis family came back to the village only to marry off Gregory to the Postman's daughter, Rue.

"You are marrying Rue?" Cassiopeia enquired with a cracking voice and watery eyes. She had managed to flee from her father's protective orders and creep into Gregory's hotel room the night before his wedding.

"Yes," Greg answered gaily.

"Don't do this to me?" She cried. "I know you love me and all these are just pretentious, just to envy me!"

"You're wrong Cassiopeia," he barked. "Every fucking time you were wrong. I've never loved you, there was nothing between us, ever. I will marry Rue."

"Please, Greg," she begged.

"Nah," he said. "I'm 'Greg' to the people I love. You can call me Mr. Papadakis."

"Don't!"

"Please get out of my room, Miss Barlos and don't fucking turn up tomorrow at my wedding to ruin it. I want to have a peaceful day."

Walking back home, Cassie realized that the sky was starless. The soft rocks crushed under her slippers. She touched her cheek which was moist from emotions only to realize that there was no tear left to shed, everything was in vain.

There was not a single star in the sky, as if someone has taken away the heart of the sky.

Heart?

What are stars?
Fragments of sky's heart.

That night while walking back home with the bits and pieces of her own life, she was ascertained that the stars which she always took as the token of beauty, were actually the smithereens of the sky's heart.

If the empyrean could have a maimed heart, who was Cassiopeia to have an unscathed one?

The world conspires against the most beautiful hearts. That is why stars clash, comets die every second. Every second there is the death and birth of a new nebula. A new Galaxy surpasses Milky Way every second.

After all, Gregory was right about one thing. Cassiopeia was no Queen, she was just a fallen star.

"Pretty Women like you shouldn't stay out late, Miss Barlos," a very sweet yet masculine voice, coated with the tenderness of heavy British accent evolved from the dark.