f o u r t e e n

1957, 12th May

The night was warmer than expected. There was nothing, no wind, no breeze, to cool down the heat of the growing tension.

Cassie's mother was crying her life out at her father's feet but the stoic man paid no heed to her crocodile tears. The villagers were whispering curses against the promiscuous woman who had cheated on a noble man like Mr. Barlos.

At the corner of the court stood Gregory, like a stick, emotionless and wordless. His step father had beaten him black and blue. The whip marks were red on his wrist and forearms.

Cassiopeia's eyes flooded at the sight of her beloved love's tormented physique. Moreover, she was ashamed to go and face him.

"By the Law of nature," the judge spoke faintly. "The punishment of adultery is any form of treatment as desired by the party who as cheated. Therefore I request Mr. Barlos, who happens to be my officer of revenue, to come forward and decide whether he wants punishment or forgiveness."

"I have decided, sir," Mr. Barlos spoke thereafter. "I want divorce from Mrs. Barlos and the custody of my daughter."

"That for sure. And for the entertainer? Mr. Gregory Papadakis?"

"Nothing," he clenched his jaw. "All I want for him is a legal notice to stay away from my family, especially my daughter."

The crowd started mumbling again.

"With regards to all the evidences and allegations that have been proved right, Mrs. Barlos is officially separated from Mr. Barlos, his property and his daughter. Mr. Papadakis is asked by the court to stay away from the Barlos family and pay an annulment of fifty drachma to the Court of Justice."

Soon the court broke apart. Cassiopeia saw her mother looking at her with hateful glares.

"Witch," the older woman cursed her audaciously.

Cassiopeia looked at her feet. Although she knew whatever she had done was right, she couldn't but take herself as the reason why her family broke apart.

Gregory, her love, was gone forever now.

"No star shines brighter than Cassiopeia." Gregory had said once.

But Cassiopeia is a constellation.