e l e v e n

15th December, 1956

"Have you ever seen sunflowers in the month of December? I have."

Estevan was arrested the other day. Cassiopeia did nothing, she just stood there with all other villagers, looking awestruck at the polices who arrested the whole Aétos Gang and made them sit in a jeep and took them away.

That was the first time Cassiopeia saw policemen.

"I want to be like them," Gregory had said. "But not a police, I will be a soldier."

She saw Gregory toiling hard day and night, being battered under his cruel step father. She saw Gregory becoming tall and broad and handsome. She saw Gregory not being the Gregory he used to be.

It wasn't like Cassiopeia's home didn't have struggles. Her mother and father fought with each other regularly. Regularly.

They no more loved each other. They lived in separate rooms.

Cassiopeia stayed with her father. She couldn't imagine a day not being with her father, wrapped in his arms, being protected from the whole world.

Then there was Grandma Aster. She was growing old and forgetting her words and actions. She was messing up stories, retelling some which Cassiopeia knew already.

Life was mundane.

"Miss Barlos?" The pastor asked. "Why are you here yet?"

It was Sunday. The air was fresh, like always. Birds were singing like always. The Sunday mass was presented as always. What was not like always was Cassiopeia's consciousness which was fading like Grandma Aster's.

"I'm sorry father." She hurried outside leaving behind a number of gluttonous confessions that couldn't reach the alter.

Her father was not home. He had gone to England as one of the representatives of the town to the court.

Faulty steps guided Cassie through the mustard fields, private orchards and her favourite apple garden beside the stream.

The wind was heavy for eleven in the morning. Her hands shielded her hairs from flying.

A gust of dirt storm blurred her vision and she fell down rubbing her eyes with her knuckle.

"Ah!" She cried when she felt a pebble cut through her knee.

"Are you okay, Miss?" A thick English accent startled her.

She immediately retreated her hand when she felt an unknown touch on her wrist.

"Who are you?" Cassie hissed at the off comer whom she couldn't visualize clearly amidst the dust storm. All she could see was golden hair. Bright golden hair that she had never seen in her life.

"Here, let me help you," the man stretched her hand towards her fallen body.

Cassie thought for a while before reluctantly holding his big palm as a support to get up.

"Where's your home? I can drop you." The male spoke again.

"No,thank you," she said with strict politeness. She turned to her heels only to realize she was unable to move. The wound was deep.

The man chuckled softly. "Here you go, Miss."

He encircled her waist with care and held her arms. Cassiopeia could not say no. She knew she would not be able to go home but for his help.

The man took her to his Jeep and drove to direction as directed by Cassie.

The storm was worsening. Cassie could see nothing other than brown dust flying with wind and broken branches.

"Thank you," she mumbled and ran to her home. She didn't wait for him to answer. She did not even care to be polite with her Messiah.

"But your name?" His words were left unheard.

_____________