Chapter 23 : Beauty in pain

Start from the beginning

For what seems like forever in the tight space, he finally reached the room. There was the capsule and a black and red striped hedgehog in like a coma state, sleeping peacefully.

Towers got out of the vent, unintentionally made a thud because of the lid of the vent was placef slightly higher than the ground. He winced, praying for his safety. Thankfully, nobody came.

He saw a camera right in front of him as he quickly ducked out of the way into its blind spot. He covered the camera view with a cloth. Then, he huffed in relief.

Towers looked at the capsule. He pushed a green button. The capsule opened up.

Shadow opened his ruby eyes. He looked around but said nothing. He saw the human before him and looked at him, expecting him to say.

The human cleared his throat. "Um..hello?"

The black hedgehog just looked at him devoid of emotions.

"Uh..do you remember your name?" Towers nervously asked while scratched the back of his head.

Shadow wanted to say something as he opened his mouth to answer but not a word came out. "My..name..?"he mumbled. A short after that he murmured to himself with a frown, "I...who.. am I?"

Towers looked the hedgehog sadly. 'Poor child. I don't think I should involved him in this at all but he is our hope. We have to try.. but still...I already felt guilty...' Towers thought in his mind.

"Do you know who I am?" Shadow asked in a confused tone at the human.

The human smiled sadly. "Your name is Shadow, Shadow the Hedgehog. You are the ultimate lifeform, born to defend our planet from evil."

That last sentence was sort of a lie. He knew it was wrong to lie, especially to a child but it had to be done. Plus, defending the world in such a young age, nobody could handle that big of responsibility especially a child.

"Shadow…..the ultimate lifeform?" Towers nodded. "Then, if I am a defender, why am I here?"

Towers didn't answered right away. He carefully chose his words. "Something happened. You were in here to heal."

"From what exactly?" Shadow demanded.

"From a trauma." He replied.

Shadow scowled. He got out of the capsule. He turned his back on the human with a reply, "Oh."

Towers scratched the back of his head. "Listen, I didn't want to ask this of you but, I...we all need your help."

Shadow didn't turn around but instead he said, "Help?"

"There's an evil out there. He's been terrorizing us all for months now. He couldn't stop him. Only you can."

This time Shadow turned around to face him, skeptically."How do you know what I could do?"

Begrudgingly, lying through his teeth, he said, "I've seen how you fight. You used chaos power. You used chaos spear and chaos blast as your means of fighting and chaos control as your means of escaping from dire moments."