Sub Chapter # 4 The Mansion of Glass

It was the following year in 1996, and the 12 year old Melissa sat on the afternoon school bus. Along with her was her esteemed companion, 13 year old Javier. The bus was playing punk music of a previous generation, and nearly all inside appeared cheerful that they were heading home for the day. All except for Javier who looked outside his window with a long face, appearing as if something was deeply bothering him. Nearing a stop the bus driver said,
"Please check for your belongings before exiting, and thank you again for riding on the Devonshire/Rowley express, and for digging some of my musical heritage. Remember, today's music was only made from my music."

Javier passed by the driver just before exiting and said loudly,
"Seriously man, this gets old! Come up with something new already, or at least play a different eight track next time!"

Melissa was surprised and a few in the bus even gasped at the brazen comment. The driver frowned and waited for the two to get off and said,
"Well, well to each his own. If you can't appreciate the luxury of this ride then maybe you can convince your daddy to get you on the other typical budget bus fleets. Where music isn't an option. Besides for as many times as your parents pay late, I should have already dropped your ass from the roster. Now, how's them apples sonny?"

Before Javier could respond the driver raised the volume of his music, shut the doors while displaying a strange grimace through the glass; and quickly took off.

Melissa said,
"Gosh Javier, what's with you all of the sudden?"

Javier said,
"Oh whatever, that driver is so lame. He doesn't have a real job, so that's why he's like that. The music is all part of his delusion to cope with his job. I get so sick of him sometimes. Anyway, I'll see you later I guess."

Melissa paused and looked at her watch,
"What happened to doing homework?"

"What Melissa, can't do it all by yourself?"

Stomping her foot impatiently,
"Javier I'm the one that helps you out! Besides, around this time my mom comes home from work."

Javier said,
"Melissa it's the weekend! You know I don't do homework till late Sunday, and what's so special with your mom coming home?"

"Well... my dad got canned from his job a few weeks ago, so all they do is argue when they meet. Can't even hear the TV either. I just rather not be around it."

They walked together to his nearby home and he said,
"So you really have nothing better to do like hang out with Angie, or something like that?"

Melissa stopped walking and gave him an angry scowl. He said attempting to correct himself,
"I mean really, this is the first time you actually come over my house just after school, you know?"

Melissa eyes fluttered and said,
"Well I was hoping to... spend time with you."

Javier puckered his brow, but Melissa sneered,
"Actually...I was interested in us finishing Realm of Runes 2 already. Com' on Javier! We've spend so much time in that game and I just don't want you to finish it without me. That's why you don't want me around, isn't it?"

"No, that's not it. That game is so hard that I gave up on it. You're so sensitive lately. Say, you on the rag already or something?"

Melissa was quiet, and the suddenly kicked him in the shin.

"Damn, that hurt! Okay, okay com' on then. You know I like it when we beat games together, I was just kidding! You're just acting weird that's all."

"And you're not?"