Previously in 'Concerning Melisssa' Episode 1

The synopsis from the previous Episode 1,
                 Children of the Underpass

The pre-teen Melissa befriends Javier and Angela and enjoy childhood escapades through video games, and grown up themed conversations . However she experiences reoccurring dreams revolving around a high fantasy world; similar to one of Javier's role playing video games.
Javier's best friend Lester has become initially victimized by school bullying that escalated quickly into street gang violence. All the while a strange experience he has not come to terms with, has ultimately made him isolated and unapproachable. Lester ultimately gets suspended for defending himself in school, and begins to miss school altogether.
Lester's uncle Nuño having been all too familiar with gang life; endeavors to guide the troubled Lester. He is loosely associated with the 'Regales' street gang who operate an illicit fighting venue called the 'Sand box', of which he has participated in to produce income. Nuño sees much of his family street gang legacy running naturally through Lester's veins, and wishes to dissuade him from it's grasp. Javier and his close school friends become sympathetic and loyal to Lester's resolve of self defense, against the rising gang culture of the at risk youths of the "Underpass". They unanimously agree to be taught by Nuño.
After experiencing unprecedented misfortune Sebastian gains stability working as an administrator for Constance; who in turn runs a lucrative prostitution ring in the down town area of La Centrada; otherwise nicknamed "Depravity's District.
A serious confrontation occurred when Joney; a veteran gangster representative of the North Valley Cliques gang, came to settle a debt with Su, and make demands that exceeded the arrangements previously approved by nefarious crime entities. He was unexpectedly and quickly expelled by Sebastian, in a desperate effort to counter the threat Jonie posed to Constance's company.

'Concerning Melissa'©

Optional reading: If you're lost as to who is who, and what is what; then follow this guide.
     There's also a brief character synopsis provided here without spoilers.   

Compendium

La Centrada's 'current day' protagonists
(1994-1995)

Melissa Gutierrez: The main, and currently 12 year old protagonist and adolescent Hispanic girl. She has a vivid imagination, who lives in the city limits of 'La Centrada'. She's suffered a form of neglect from her economically challenged parents, and usually overshadowed by her two elders sisters. Not being the least bit popular in middle school, and failing utterly at soccer; her only merited accomplishment is being the official junior high spelling B champion. Melissa's childhood solitude has opened her mind to the possibility of an alternate existence. One where she believes there to be an ulterior world, where fantasy and myth become a reality. A fascination with a cartoon called the 'Valiants' has thus compounded to it, as has a popular role playing video game she and Javier often play. She has gone on a 'figurative quest 'of inner significance with Javier, and is determined to discover more within the perceived odyssey.

Beatrice Enriquez: Melissa's aging grandmother.         

Pumpkin Cat: Melissa's beloved feline who has different colored eyes. Though discouraged by her family, it sleeps with her, and has been a source of immense companionship since she was a younger child. In her dreams, Pumpkin has appeared as a large humanoid feline in armor!

Javier Santana: Thirteen year old Javier is considered a 'good boy' in a neighborhood of adolescents with overall destructive tendencies. Javier inherited his mother's Anglo American dominant features, and does not consider himself openly Hispanic. His parents have brought him up in a sheltered environment, with limited freedoms. He is known for his typical room of toys, and latest electronic games. His deep conversations with Melissa have earned him a special place in her heart. However due to his age, she is treated by him like a gaming 'buddy', rather than a love interest. His immaturity around her abounds for inadvertently dismissing that she is a growing girl by his frequent locker room comments. He claims to believe in Melissa's 'odyssey,' but only in a sense of his self centeredness. He aspires to discover his 'warrior princess., 'while it has yet to be revealed exactly why. The 'figurative quest' he has joined Melissa on mostly resides in the connection with the 16 bit role playing games they play together; and the real life occurrences of their surroundings. Something they intend to draw imaginative conclusions from. Hence a pilgrimage of sorts. He has become increasingly troubled by the recent changes in Lester's personal life. The child in him looks up to Lester as a big brother, with a feeling of unyielding loyalty and commitment. Nevertheless within him is a growing struggle to stick with Melissa, who he finds comfort and solace with.